motor or pump?

scum1

Sep 4, 2012
Ok I am at a loss. I was out of town and when I got back the breaker for the pool pump was thrown. Reset and all I got was a hum from motor. Spun shaft and it started but barely any pressure on pump and minimal flow. also burning smell. Replaced capacitor and still won't start without spinning shaft. Took everything apart. Motor still wont start without spinning shaft but once it does start seems ok running for a bit even with impeller on it. When it's all back together motor gets really hot and pressure never gets up. So what could it be? I mean motor with new capacitor still won't start on its own so I'm thinking motor problem?

What pump and motor are we talking about here?

A synchronous motor's speed is determined by the frequency of the input power, so it should run the same speed all the time. Anything that would change that would likely result in a breaker tripping or smoke from the motor. That tends to point to the pump as the problem in my mind.

But the motor still won't start on its own even when disconnected from the pump.

What pump and motor are we talking about here?

A synchronous motor's speed is determined by the frequency of the input power, so it should run the same speed all the time. Anything that would change that would likely result in a breaker tripping or smoke from the motor. That tends to point to the pump as the problem in my mind.

Sounds like a bad motor. If you're getting the correct voltage to the motor, I think that it's time for a new motor or pump.

What pump do you have now and how old is it?

I'm gonna replace the motor. I'm selling the house so not wanting to invest in a new pump even though its pretty old. I have this motor A.O. Smith 2 HP, 56Y Frame, Up-Rate Motor 230/115" it's set at 230 so can I just get a 230 one and not the 230/115 as its cheaper. Also do you think i need a 2hp? The pump is a whisper flo and the pool is almost 18k gallons. De filter is 60sq ft

Sounds like a bad motor. If you're getting the correct voltage to the motor, I think that it's time for a new motor or pump.

What pump do you have now and how old is it?

An old WhisperFlo is usually not a good choice for motor replacement. Also, 2 HP is probably too big. You can probably go much smaller. If you wanted to do a motor replacement, you would probably need a motor, seal kit, impeller and seal plate.

I think that you would do better getting a new, smaller pump, such as a Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP - SP2605X7.

If you don’t have anything that requires high flow, I would recommend a 3/4 HP pump.

So that will be enough power for my pool? I just have a regular pool. I use suction side pool crawler. Also my piping is 2" I believe and the pump you recommend is 1.2" Lastly I don't have really long runs but they are not short. Do you think this would be an ok pump to use PureLine Prime Pool Pump 1.5 HP - PL2602 - INYOPools.com seems a good value and has more power and proper size piping. Thanks

An old WhisperFlo is usually not a good choice for motor replacement. Also, 2 HP is probably too big. You can probably go much smaller. If you wanted to do a motor replacement, you would probably need a motor, seal kit, impeller and seal plate.

I think that you would do better getting a new, smaller pump, such as a Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP - SP2605X7.

If you don’t have anything that requires high flow, I would recommend a 3/4 HP pump.

So that will be enough power for my pool? I just have a regular pool. I use suction side pool crawler. Also my piping is 2" I believe and the pump you recommend is 1.2" Lastly I don't have really long runs but they are not short. Do you think this would be an ok pump to use PureLine Prime Pool Pump 1.5 HP - PL2602 - INYOPools.com seems a good value and has more power and proper size piping. Thanks

why don't you just do it right for the next people that purchase your home instead of buying something insufficient for your pool so that they find out later on they will need to replace it again since you just bought a bandaid type pool pump......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So do you think this one is ok? It has more power. PureLine Prime Pool Pump 1.5 HP - PL2602 - INYOPools.com This is where I have bought a motor before also. Honestly I'm not gonna spend a fortune on a new top shelf system for a house I am selling. I think a new pump instead of just replacing the motor on the very old one is better for me and the new owners. I just don't think a 3/4 will be enough for my suction side crawler

That pump is a Hayward SuperPump. It's made by Hayward as a private label.

You really don't need that much HP. I would just get a simple 3/4 HP pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.