Most Current Bonding Req'ts?

Oct 15, 2012
Southern KS
I'm finishing up with my pool installation and my electrician is hounding me about finding out about the bonding requirements. Basically, he told me to go back to the retailer / manufacturer (Royal Swimming Pools / Citadel), but the retailer is telling me that my electrician should know. So then I go to my local pool store, and they're also saying my electrician should know. Once again, I go back to my electrician, and he tells me to find out from the manufacturer. He also claims he's done this for 50 years, and he's installed several AGP's, and the only way he's ever done it is by connecting copper to each and every post around the pool. I'm thinking about just paying him what I owe him and trying to do it myself. So, my main question: Is this the most current and best resource for bonding an above ground pool? LINK Also, any other resources that might explain (like I'm 5 years old) how to get this done. Thanks!

You do not have a location in your https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/account-details that could show
<<<---- here

You need to find out what the electrical code requirements for your pool are in your jurisdiction. Those are the minimum standards you should meet. Does your jurisdiction require permits or any inspections?

The manufacturer does not know the code requirements for your location.

Your electrician should be familar with the National Electric Code (NEC) and what parts of the NEC has been adopted by your jurisdiction. He should not require you to wade through the technicalities of the NEC.

Electrical Bonding - Further Reading has good resources for you. There are links to good information from Mike Holt.

Ok, gotcha. I fixed my location. (I'm in Wichita, KS.) And yes, I 100% agree that he should know. I just wish this was something I could do myself, because from what I've heard from others, it's going to require copper around the full circumference of the pool, which having an electrician do is going to be expensive.

You can certainly do the bonding job yourself. You can get the bare copper wire and the bonding lugs from any hardware store that sells wiring/electrical components. The Wiki link shows you how to do a skimmer plate water bond. Typically all you need is 4 points of contact around the circumference of the pool to the metal legs/posts. You can partially bury there copper wire around the pool perimeter and then add an additional run to the equipment (pumps have bonding lugs on them). If there's anything more than a pump, like a heater or electrical panel, then you simply run the bonding wire to each of those. Basically you're just trying to make sure that every metallic component is electrically connected together so that no electrical potential difference (ie, voltage) can develop. If the electrician won't do the work, then pay him for his services rendered and do it yourself.

You can certainly do the bonding job yourself. You can get the bare copper wire and the bonding lugs from any hardware store that sells wiring/electrical components. The Wiki link shows you how to do a skimmer plate water bond. Typically all you need is 4 points of contact around the circumference of the pool to the metal legs/posts. You can partially bury there copper wire around the pool perimeter and then add an additional run to the equipment (pumps have bonding lugs on them). If there's anything more than a pump, like a heater or electrical panel, then you simply run the bonding wire to each of those. Basically you're just trying to make sure that every metallic component is electrically connected together so that no electrical potential difference (ie, voltage) can develop. If the electrician won't do the work, then pay him for his services rendered and do it yourself.
Thank you! So, I was able to verify with another electrician (that would actually talk with me) that it needs to be 18" away from the wall of the pool, around the circumference of the pool, and making contact in 4 separate places, and buried 4" down. A few clarifying questions:
  • In terms of metallic components / equipment, I know I need to bond the pool posts/legs (4 places), the skimmer, and the pump. Obviously not the cartridge filter. But what about the SWG controller, the disconnect for the pump, and the outlet box that the SWG controller is plugged into?
  • Regarding the 18" away and the 4" down -- how exact does that have to be? And I just had the pool area landscaped with rock/chat, and it would be AWESOME if I didn't have to dig down and cut through the fabric barrier that's under the rock. Can I just cover the bonding wire with the rock?? Will it still "do it's job"?

• In terms of metallic components / equipment, I know I need to bond the pool posts/legs (4 places), the skimmer, and the pump. Obviously not the cartridge filter. But what about the SWG controller, the disconnect for the pump, and the outlet box that the SWG controller is plugged into?

In general any devices metallic, and in contact with pool water needs to be bonded. A device that should be bonded will have an external bonding lug.

SWG controller depends on its power supply design and if it has an external bonding lug.

Pump disconnect - no

Outlet boxes - no

Do NOT confuse bonding with grounding and do not connect the bond wire to any ground wires.

Pool_Bonding.jpg

• Regarding the 18" away and the 4" down -- how exact does that have to be? And I just had the pool area landscaped with rock/chat, and it would be AWESOME if I didn't have to dig down and cut through the fabric barrier that's under the rock. Can I just cover the bonding wire with the rock?? Will it still "do it's job"?

Yes, put the bonding wire under the rock.

Just realize that if you don’t bury the bonding wire it will be exposed to potential damage by someone unknowingly working around the pool. It’s easy to wield a shovel and accidentally and unknowingly cut the wire. If it were me, I would bite the bullet, upend the landscaping and do the job right. But that’s my personal opinion.

Your local building inspector should also be able to answer this question. Typically bonding uses a solid 8 awg or larger wire that it connected to any metal within the vicinity of the pool and pool equipment. The appropriate connectors need to be used to connect wires and connect the wire to equipment too. Like others have mentioned Bonding is not grounding, the two do not connect. The intent of bonding is to equalize the voltage potential between all connected equipment and pool water. If there is a difference in potential there is a possibly of getting shocked. It also has the potential to minimize galvanic corrosion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.