Morton Pool Salt from Home Depot really messed up my pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueman2

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
SF Bay Area
I had my pool re-plastered late December, and waited until now to add salt. Went to Home Depot and got 16 bags for my 20,000 gallon pool. It was clearly labeled Pool Salt with 'highest purity'. But it was actually brown salt and created a oily film on my pool and totally clogged my cartridge filter. Here are a few pictures. I was not sure if this was normal, so took the pictures just in case. 4 hours later, and the pool shows brown staining on the 4 month old plaster. Entire pool is just icky brown and oily. You can see the picture of my skimmer that was clean before but full of oily scum after adding salt. Any thoughts on what to do? I stopped at 8 bags added given how bad it was getting. Help!

IMG_0378.jpgIMG_0384.jpgIMG_0382.jpgIMG_0380.jpgIMG_0385.jpg

Last edited:
Does it have a salt consistency if you crush it up ? It kinda looks more like sand.

Others, including myself have been having problems with the Morton’s professional containing a lot of rocks & pebbles but this a new experience. What a shame 🤨

6 hours after adding those bags, and the staining on the bottom has gotten worse. Water is starting to clear up a bit, but the staining is really, really bad on my brand new plaster. As the water has cleared up, I can now see also rocks and pebbles from the bags of salt. This is the biggest mess I have had in 25 years of owning a pool.

• Sad
Reactions: hjc4604

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Certainly doesn't look normal at all.

Did you put in just one bag or all 20 bags of it?
Did you brush it until dissolved?

I added 10 of the 16 bags. I should have stopped earlier, but I never though Salt could be bad. I brushed constantly for about 2 hours. Took that long to mostly dissolve. But there was still a bunch of sand and rocks that I brushed to the drain. Took 6 hours for the water to clear enough to see the bottom. The staining in really, really bad on the bottom. No amount of brushing seems to help.

I plan to run the pool cleaner all night to see if that helps any.

I talked to Home Depot and they said they would take back what I did not use, but cannot provide any refund for anything I have used. Might try calling back on Monday just to confirm. They also said they do not support products like salt and I must go to the manufacturer.

But there is no way I am going to allow them to take the remaining 6 bags of that stuff that stained my pool. I need that for proof that Morton is responsible for the damage. They are un-opened and will remain that way for proof.

Also, after adding 10 bags, the salinity level should be much higher than it is right now for a 20,000 gallon pool with 400 lbs of salt. It is around 1800ppm. Really strange.

Last edited:
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Reactions: devinedaybreak

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.