More air bubbles this year (I think when SWG is running)

doncaruana

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2011
Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I noticed a pretty hefty stream of air bubbles coming out of the returns but I also have noticed it's not constant, which leads me to believe it is likely when the SWG is running (not sure how I would actually be able to check that).

When I started up this year there was a bad leak on the inlet side of the SWG. I loosened the collar and retightened it twice before the leak eventually stopped. But is it possible this could be contributing to the air? I have an extra o-ring I can pull and put on that side.

I'm sure there's a better way, but depending upon the bubble intervals, you could always turn the SWG off when you have some time to watch the returns. If there are no bubbles then you can be relatively confident it's just the SWG running given you are monitoring for an long enough time. If turning the SWG of and you still get bubbles then you definitely know it's that o-ring or an air leak somewhere else.

The SWCG is on the pressure side of the system. No air can enter there with the pump running.

Last edited:
Reactions: TKpoolOH
Certain conditions, especially right after opening a pool from winter, seem to cause bubbles from a SWCG to be more prominent.

Reactions: TKpoolOH
The SWCG is on the pressure side of the system. No air cannot enter there with the pump running.
Good to know, thanks! Sorry for implying a potential solution that is not possible. I did leave my answer open to other options ;) . That's why I'm not an expert, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

Watched the bubbles rolling this morning and turned off SWG. Immediately saw bubbles slow down and after about 30 seconds they were gone completely. So I'm gonna say that's the cause. I guess I'm not overly concerned then. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.