Monopersulfate shock

Annesh100

Jun 27, 2022
UK
Hi

Is it possible to get rid of monopersulfate? I used it as a shock (usually use chlorine) in my small indoor 'endless' pool but now can't get accurate total chlorine readings on the photometer as the monopersulfate reacts with the tablets. I need 'Oxystop' tablets to stop the reaction but can't get hold of any.

Ideally I'd like to get rid of the monopersulfate or neutralise it so I can start again with chlorine shock and get correct readings.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Just a Reminder that Mps is only an oxidizer & not a sanitizer so be sure to keep adequate sanitizer levels at all times
FC/CYA Levels.
Chlorine is both an oxidizer & sanitizer.
It will just take time for the interference/ false cc readings to go away. If you don’t wish to wait you could exchange water to help it along. Or, as you mentioned, get the interference reagent.

KMPS will gradually fade. When I use it in the summer, one pound poured into my 8000-gallon pool disappears in two days. But I used it this week and it's dissipating more slowly -- looks like it'll take five or six days -- so in your indoor pool it might also take a while.

Taylor makes the K-2042 "interference remover" reagent (link in my signature). It might be compatible with your Palintest kit, but it's expensive (especially with shipping from the US) and by the time it gets to you the KMPS will have naturally faded anyway. So if you use CYA in your indoor pool, I'd just wait a week instead -- blindly adding chlorine at your usual rate or slightly above -- and then assume that chlorine testing is accurate again.

KMPS will gradually fade. When I use it in the summer, one pound poured into my 8000-gallon pool disappears in two days. But I used it this week and it's dissipating more slowly -- looks like it'll take five or six days -- so in your indoor pool it might also take a while.

Taylor makes the K-2042 "interference remover" reagent (link in my signature). It might be compatible with your Palintest kit, but it's expensive (especially with shipping from the US) and by the time it gets to you the KMPS will have naturally faded anyway. So if you use CYA in your indoor pool, I'd just wait a week instead -- blindly adding chlorine at your usual rate or slightly above -- and then assume that chlorine testing is accurate again.
Thanks that’s really helpful. I’ve replaced 1/4 of the water and will let the rest disappear. Back to good old chlorine in future!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.