Molded barb fittings to hard pvc?

bdooley3

May 8, 2024
The only thread I found with a potential answer was no longer active.

How can I adapt the molded in hose barbs to rigid pvc? I saw someone put a piece of hose to the fitting with a hose clamp and then used a barb to pvc coupling as pictured but it didn’t give me a good feeling longevity wise.

Attachments

• IMG_5592.png
    IMG_5592.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

What are you trying to accomplish? (i.e. connecting X to Y). There are lots of different, effective solutions...need to know what you are trying to do....includes sizes of PVC pipe and barb fitting...

Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

What are you trying to accomplish? (i.e. connecting X to Y). There are lots of different, effective solutions...need to know what you are trying to do....includes sizes of PVC pipe and barb fitting...
I’m trying to hard pipe my entire system. Only trouble I’m having is a filter/pump transition since they are molded into the systems. Had 2 hoses let go last year and I want to hard pipe and be done.

I’m trying to hard pipe my entire system. Only trouble I’m having is a filter/pump transition since they are molded into the systems. Had 2 hoses let go last year and I want to hard pipe and be done.
We are happy to help, but this doesn't make sense. Can you post a few pictures of your situation so we can help you?

Reactions: Nonyabiz
Please also take a moment and fill out your Signature with all the relevent pool details and equipment model #s. Questions make a ton of more sense when we know what you're dealing with. For example, the intex equipment that typically uses barbed fittings. Are you looking to hard pipe intex equipment ? We just don't know by ourselves and have to ask questions about your questions. Help us help you. :)

Photos and details of what your looking to plumb together will help us help you. Easier and less leak prone than trying to couple odd fitting together is forming PVC pipe with a heat gun. Takes a little time and patients but eliminates the need for flexible pipe and barb fittings.

Please also take a moment and fill out your Signature with all the relevent pool details and equipment model #s. Questions make a ton of more sense when we know what you're dealing with. For example, the intex equipment that typically uses barbed fittings. Are you looking to hard pipe intex equipment ? We just don't know by ourselves and have to ask questions about your questions. Help us help you. :)
As soon as I get home later I’ll take a few pictures. It’s a pool I bought from pool warehouse a few years ago. The pump and filter was labeled as an HP series filter. Assuming it is a Hayward knock off. But both the pump and filter do not have removable fittings, they have the hose clamp on style.

Reactions: newdude
Crud. For once I am going to say to stick with what you have, and if you are feeling like you should be doing something, replace what you have.

All 3 will need a short piece (8 inches?) of flex pipe clamped on both sides. The fitting you pictured above will work for the other side, or they also have barb to NPT which you could then transition to PVC. But that'll keep your 4 clamp connections, and add 4 more. The clamps are the weak point, not the hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crud. For once I am going to say to stick with what you have, and if you are feeling like you should be doing something, replace what you have.

All 3 will need a short piece (8 inches?) of flex pipe clamped on both sides. The fitting you pictured above will work for the other side, or they also have barb to NPT which you could then transition to PVC. But that'll keep your 4 clamp connections, and add 4 more. The clamps are the weak point, not the hose.
Thanks! Yeah, the wife wants to put a heater in, which I’d rather have hard piped. I think my best bet would be to buy the 6” pvc flex pipe and use the adaptors from there to do my sch40 piping. I have everything drawn out, just needed to know if that was my only option 😩

Unfortuately stick with the flexible hose/pipe. Adding a heater is very doable. Just make a small rigid PVC pipe section with some valves so you can bypass/isolate the heater if needed. Plumb the rigid PVC inlet (from pump) and outlet (return to pool) with barb fittings to use your exisitng lines. Check to see if there is a temperature and pressure rating on your return lines. The water out of a heater can be in the 100°F range. There is an increased risk of the hose coming off the barb with hot water and pressure in it.