Modifying a Pentair IC40 dummy cell for chlorine injection

Vegas Mike

Mar 30, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Was looking for an inexpensive dummy cell I could modify for winterizing my Pentair IC40. There's not enough space after the IC40 to attach a saddle for a permanent injection point (run into valves for spa and water feature), so thought I could modify a dummy cell to include an injection port for chlorine. Once the pool temperature falls below 52F, the SWG shuts off, and I'll swap in my modified dummy cell.

Tried a cheap knock-off from Impressa, "Dummy Bypass Cell Intended for Pentair IntelliChlor IC Models 520588". But the thread OD on Impressa is 3.051" compared to Pentair 3.122". The fittings included on the Impressa won't thread onto the Pentair, and the unit is also 0.05" shorter, so very unlikely it will fit properly. Concerned about a leak, but more importantly, damage to the fittings.

As others have found, the IC40 connections are smaller than 3" pipe but bigger than 2.5", so you can't make your own dummy cell with normal PVC fittings. The dummy cell walls are too thin to just drill and tap the injection port. Next challenge is finding a saddle that will fit on the Pentair 520588 dummy cell.

My purpose in posting is just to help someone else trying this, but also if they have discovered this is a bad idea, I'd like to hear that, too.

I guess I have to ask why? One, the swcg does not need to be removed for winter, and second, acid use drops dramatically in the winter.

Marty, thanks for the comment. My reasoning is: I have to add chlorine in the winter, and was looking for a non-permanent, seasonal way to inject chlorine with my Stenner pump, hopefully a way needing infrequent attention once I find the correct rate. Glad you said the SWG cell did not need removed in winter, because I didn't last year. You are right that the rate of chlorine addition drops in cold weather, but I still had to add it, and I'm not willing to increase my CYA with a tri-chlor puck. And I'll admit that I'm an engineer.

Marty, are you thinking about the acid injection we've been discussing elsewhere? Or did you mean to type "chlorine use drops dramatically in the winter"? I think the OP wants to do chlorine injection while the IC stops producing in winter.

Mike, can you show us some pics around your IC? Maybe we can offer an alternate solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.