"Old" Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pentair Mastertemp 400. Tech trying to diagnose a failed comm with my IC40 SWCG noticed what he said was evidence of rats nesting in my heater. Started it up, hear the fire light and about five seconds and it's off. Fan still running but no fire. Tech opined that rats had chewed the igniter. He had no time today, as was only doing Pentair warranty calls. He also said it would likely be several weeks before I could get an appointment to repair the heater. In the meantime, I thought I'd take it apart, clean it up and look into keeping rodents out of it. From an old link here I found this:
From pictures I also found on TFP, it looks like something I could do on the cheap if it doesn't matter how it looks. Well, it does matter, so I'm willing to spend $60. Does anyone else here have experience with this? I might also look into some repellent, but poison is not on the table.

Yup, it works. You can buy the precut pieces or roll your own.

Pentair has redesigned the panels in the latest version of the MasterTemp to make it harder for rodents to get in.

Rodents can destroy a heater.

Reactions: kul and Dirk
This is a conversation I should have had four years ago. Now that the horse is out of the barn, I'll attend to it.

Pentair has redesigned the panels in the latest version of the MasterTemp to make it harder for rodents to get in
Do you have any information on when this change was made, and how to determine whether any given unit has those changes? My MT400 was installed in February of this year.

Do you have any information on when this change was made, and how to determine whether any given unit has those changes? My MT400 was installed in February of this year.
The new design has less vents on the sides. This is the new design...
Pentair MasterTemp1.jpg
mastertemphp-tradegrade.png.thumb.1280.1280.png

This is the old design...

Pentair-MasterTemp-400-pool-heater-natural-gas-features.jpg

Reactions: stevo777
I purchased the mk rat proofing. If you aren’t sure which one to buy, use the email on the website to send a photo. That’s what I did and it worked out well. Install was super easy and I did it about a year ago.

Reactions: stevo777 and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.