Missing skimmer part?

NewWorldViking

Aug 3, 2018
Cottonwood Heights, UT
I have a Hayward SP1070B skimmer. Everywhere I look I see the float valve for it is SP1070-FV. But the float valve diameter is too small. It just sits on the bottom and doesn't leave enough room for bottom drain suction.

I see a channel for an O ring in the bottom of the skimmer that's a larger diameter than the float valve and would leave enough room for bottom drain suction. I think I'm either missing an adapter piece or I have the wrong float valve. But I have no idea what this adapter piece would be called and can't find anything, nor can I find a float valve that is a large enough diameter. I keep getting directed to the float valve that is too small diameter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Did your skimmer come with a float valve? Not all need them. I believe i have the same skimmers and only the hole in the back is plumbed. The one in the front is plugged. You would typically only need a float valve if the skimmers where connected to the main drain.

Did your skimmer come with a float valve? Not all need them. I believe i have the same skimmers and only the hole in the back is plumbed. The one in the front is plugged. You would typically only need a float valve if the skimmers where connected to the main drain.
It is connected to a main drain. Front hole to main drain, back hole to pump. I am definitely not getting the 80/20 distribution with the parts I have. Nor would I get an adequate seal if the float valve is triggered.

The guy who installed the skimmer left it like that and I'm sure it isn't right.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.