MISS READ POOLMATH: for Slam TOO MUCH Bleach

All, CYA was the trick, got that fixed in less than 24 Hours with Liquid conditioner (liquid-fast-way expensive vs crystals-slow-to maintain). It is Mustard algae dying quickly now, almost all gone, looks like I will be doing the OCLT tonight or tomorrow in anticipation of it being done, then 24 hours at level with everything in the pool to kill anymore spores. I will update you soon along with a summary of Lessons Learned. Thank you all for your thoughts and advice, all is appreciated. Talk to you soon.

oh, quick note - CYA disappeared again, 2 gallons of liquid conditioner (37.99 a pop), last week, measured at 45, then Monday, 35, then skipped Tuesday/Wednesday reading, then smelled bleach by the pool, I went oh, no, took a reading and -0- again. Where is it going? I need help here, sunny, no rain, a little evaporation, ? sock in now, with 6 gallons of bleach, cause still on the Mustard Algae slam, 3rd week 6th run for 6cases of bleach (costing 600+ now). Any ideas on the CYA, I think this is why this process is taking so long.

I think I may be talking to myself - going on the 4th week of Mustard Algae Slam, average 6 gallons bleach everyday, CYA disappears every 4-5 days, no fill of water, so my thought is "can I lose CYA by adding so much bleach". Stains are 98% gone, but still getting a 5ppm lose per night OCLT test:

FC 26ppm
CC 1.5ppm
CYA 20% (sock in again)
CH 350

can't test PH or TA due to slam. I am getting tired of brushing 4x day, testing 10x day, and pouring bleach - but keeping it up.

"No loss of chlorine at night, running at 30ppm, but during the day losing 76ppm, I am duping 8 gallons of bleach (100ppm) in so I don't loss that critical 24ppm (40 CYA) while at work - past 2 days. Can the sun be cheating me out of this process, costing more money and time than needs to be. I am brushing 4 times a day at 2:00am - 6:00am - 4:30pm - 7:00pm. "

8 gallons of 10% bleach will only raise your FC by 61 in 13,200 gallons. Are you quite sure you're using poolmath correctly?

Are you QUITE sure your gallon size is correct?

No water replacement, but when adding 6 gallons of 10-12% bleach to keep a level above the 24ppm CYA at 40ppm, I think I am losing the CYA by dilution of the bleach (add over 100 gallons, since May 26).

For Woodyp - now running at 18ppm level with a CYA at 25, need to bump the level above 68ppm during the day (while at work - cause on weekend would do over the day) the calculator tells me at 10% bleach for 13,300 gallons (128oz) it tells me to add 6 gallons - only losing about 50ppm now.

Ellie, based on 40 CYA, you should be using 16FC as your SLAM level for now.

Once you have completed the normal SLAM, then you go to MA SLAM level for 24 hours. Please reread the article in Pool School.

Adding chlorine way over recommended levels will only cause a greater and faster loss of FC.

Once you have completed the normal SLAM, then you go to MA SLAM level for 24 hours. Please reread the article in Pool School.
Did the regular slam on Memorial weekend, this is what happened to me on the 24 hour MA Slam. Due to the MA on new plaster for over a year. You would have to read the while string.

All, I have given up this afternoon, bought Yellow Gone and have started this process.

Thank you for your you input and will update you on outcome.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.