Milky white substance in filter

Jun 13, 2023
Knoxville
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Have lived in this house with this pool for about 2 years. Has always been this milky white substance when I clean the filter. Pool isn’t always cloudy but often enough. Pool suggested “fiberglass lining is deteriorating”. Hoping it’s related to chemistry that can be adjusted.

Attachments

• IMG_2644.jpeg
    IMG_2644.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 13
I think that the pool is painted.

Paint dissolves in water because they had to remove the solvents from the paint, which made it completely worthless.

Paint used to be good before the rules changed requiring a low VOC formula.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the pool originally fiberglass or concrete that was refinished in fiberglass?

Either way, the paint is failing and I would look into getting the paint removed and then resurfacing with something more permanent.

Is the pool originally fiberglass or concrete that was refinished in fiberglass?

Either way, the paint is failing and I would look into getting the paint removed and then resurfacing with something more permanent.
Just speculating as I don’t know costs or anything, but could this have been some sort of “cover up” to make the pool look “pretty for pictures” when selling? I wonder if a home inspection would catch they sort of thing. Probably not, probably take some sort of pool inspector. Like JamesW. 🤣

Reactions: JamesW
Just speculating as I don’t know costs or anything, but could this have been some sort of “cover up” to make the pool look “pretty for pictures” when selling? I wonder if a home inspection would catch they sort of thing. Probably not, probably take some sort of pool inspector. Like JamesW. 🤣
Possible. I’m also reading that it’s a sign of wear on a fiberglass pool, failing of gel coating. Will have someone come inspect

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.