Milky water that won't quit!

ivyleager,

It doesn't feel like it's going well at all. I didn't get the bleach purchased until dinnertime (although it was bright and sunny here all day, so maybe that's not so bad). I tested the water prior to adding the bleach; FC=0, TC=0, CY=30. The calculator told me to add six 96-oz bottles (6%) of bleach, so I did, adding it to the deep-end skimmer, slowly and one jug at a time. Half an hour later, the FC and TC were 8 ppm; after another half an hour, both were zero.

I just added another 6 jugs, brushed down the walls (second time today) and tested the water. Both FC and TC were 3 ppm. I will go out and test again in another 15 minutes or so. If the chlorine levels aren't up from the 3 ppm, I'm a bit out of luck, as I only have 3 jugs left and with my current schedule, probably can't stock up and TRY to shock the pool (I know, duraleigh, I'm not shocking the pool - but I sure am trying!) until Saturday night. I'm sure this "off and on" approach isn't helping matters, but it's the best I can do.

Suffice to say, I'm getting rather frustrated.

Hang in there! I know it's a tough battle when you keep running out of bleach and don't have the chance to test on and off all day. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Just keep at it - do what you can, when you can. If that's the best you can do then it's okay - that is your best. Keep the POP going too. (Pool Owner Patience) One day, one evening, one night you're going to look at your pool and it's going to hit you - SPARKLES!!!! When that happens you'll have a smile on your face so big you won't even realize it :mrgreen: (like when you're watching tv and smiling just b/c the actors are.. and then you ask yourself, was I just smiling?. KWIM?)
Keep up the good work :goodjob:

If you have a pool store or big box that sells liquid chlorine 10 to 12.5%, you would haul less jugs and possible pay less.

You may want to call around and see what you can find.

We understand your frustration. And, if you can only shock one time a day, make sure it is in the evening after the sun is off the pool.
That will give you the most benefit for increasing FC.

If you can't start shocking again until Sat night, just hit it hard!....and don't run out of liquid chlorine/bleach :-D

Open that can of POP and have confidence that your pool will get cleared and again become that beautiful oasis , just not today. :)

It's been a while since my last post... but I'm happy :lol: to report that after 7 cases of liquid shock (yee-oww!) the FC level has finally held overnight and I can actually see the bottom. I plan to hand vacuum tonight and hopefully there WILL be a Memorial Day swim!

Alright! :goodjob: Now, where are you in the "done" shocking criteria?

You are done shocking when you have met this three criteria:
A. CC is 0.5 or lower;
B. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
C. And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

When all done, you will post a pic for us, right? :)

heckcj said:
It's been a while since my last post... but I'm happy :lol: to report that after 7 cases of liquid shock (yee-oww!) the FC level has finally held overnight and I can actually see the bottom. I plan to hand vacuum tonight and hopefully there WILL be a Memorial Day swim!
Hippee!!! FC holding overnight is one of the definitions of "done with shocking". If there is residue on the bottom of the pool, then I'd suggest vacuuming to waste so as not to reintroduce it back into circulation. Post a set of final numbers when you get a chance.

Butterfly,
The answers are A - yes, B - yes, C - yes! It poured here last night and is forecast for rain again today... I'll take a photo when the sun comes out and post it - probably later this weekend.

ivyleager,
There was sediment, which I vacuumed up early last evening... I also brushed down all the surfaces (which was the first time I could actually SEE the lower walls and floor of the pool!). The pump ran all last night, but as I mentioned above, it rained pretty hard, so I'll try and re-test today or tomorrow and post updated numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. :cheers: Persistence pays off. Enjoy your holiday weekend IN THE POOL! :party:

A quick look at the numbers:
1. With a CYA of 30, your FC maintenance range is 2 - 4.
2. With a calcium hardness of 350, I'd not add any more granular calcium hypochloride. Hopefully with time, backwashing, evaporation and refilling, that figure will go down.

HAVE FUN.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.