LMW Ky Girl

May 4, 2022
Ky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all! I have a few questions after reading several threads here. Last year was our first year taking care of our above ground pool. I did not do the research I should’ve about caring for/maintaining a pool prior to installing. We did not winterize properly and upon opening this year, I have done the research from TFP. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 test kit. I will admit I have not logged all the test that I’ve done. I took notes to keep track but haven’t entered into my log.

Log story short, we had left our steps in the pool and just removed them at the beginning of our SLAM process. We have pressure washed them and bleached them. I read on someone’s thread that they should be hollow and need to scrub the inside. Our steps are filled with sand… could the algae live inside them still? I don’t want to risk contaminating the pool when we put the steps back in.

I guess my second question is I have what I believe is dead algae floating on the surface and it’s too small to be skimmed out by our hand skimmer. It also seems as the pool filter isn’t getting rid of it either… any suggestions?

We have an above ground vinyl pool with a 2HP sand filter. We have approx 15k gallons ( I rounded up).

Attachments

• C6B230C1-64CE-4593-B115-D42165AD6AB4.jpeg
    C6B230C1-64CE-4593-B115-D42165AD6AB4.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 73DF455F-5FFB-49C0-8EF6-455657A2D7F3.jpeg
    73DF455F-5FFB-49C0-8EF6-455657A2D7F3.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 4
  • F080C0F8-76E3-42B9-8E36-66D9806C2252.jpeg
    F080C0F8-76E3-42B9-8E36-66D9806C2252.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 5D12D193-76B2-4CDD-9168-1ABFE9FB66B2.jpeg
    5D12D193-76B2-4CDD-9168-1ABFE9FB66B2.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 6A6DC3A2-152E-4E63-B81A-52E07BD02C53.jpeg
    6A6DC3A2-152E-4E63-B81A-52E07BD02C53.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 6
If water can get inside the steps where the sand is..... Yes, you will get algae. There won't be any circulation getting to those areas.

Can you get the sand out?

We filled some PVC pipes with gravel and put endcaps on both sides. 3 of those are holding down our steps. Or you can fill empty bleach bottles with gravel and use that as weights. After removing the label and tightening the tops.

Definitely remove the sand & bleach that out & scrub it- its probably algae city- u got any pics of the steps? We can help you figure out a way to weigh them down. Also many types need more holes added to them so they don’t have stagnant areas.
To catch the floating stuff - be sure your return(s) is pointed away from the skimmer in the opposite direction and down just a touch (right below the surface of the water) so u get the “toilet bowl effect “ & that your weir door is installed in your skimmer so it sucks debris in properly with the water level a little over 1/2 way up the skimmer plate. You can also try a skimmer sock or hairnet to help catch the fine stuff. Be sure to check it often & also backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure like @YippeeSkippy said.

Reactions: Newdude
As you continue on with your SLAM process the filter will get saturated with dead algae. When the pressure in the filter rises 25% over its clean pressure that is the time you want to clean the filter. Can you backwash your filter?
We have back washed everytime the pressure gets up. I haven’t had to backwash for the last couple of days though.

If water can get inside the steps where the sand is..... Yes, you will get algae. There won't be any circulation getting to those areas.

Can you get the sand out?

We filled some PVC pipes with gravel and put endcaps on both sides. 3 of those are holding down our steps. Or you can fill empty bleach bottles with gravel and use that as weights. After removing the label and tightening the tops.
My husband said it would be really difficult to take the step apart. The way they are made, the sand is only in the sides and rails of the steps. The back and bottom of the steps… there is basically nothing there to be able to fill anything to sit on top of them. Would the algae not die outside of the water? We took them out Monday and I don’t plan to put them back until my SLAM process is complete.

Definitely remove the sand & bleach that out & scrub it- its probably algae city- u got any pics of the steps? We can help you figure out a way to weigh them down. Also many types need more holes added to them so they don’t have stagnant areas.
To catch the floating stuff - be sure your return(s) is pointed away from the skimmer in the opposite direction and down just a touch (right below the surface of the water) so u get the “toilet bowl effect “ & that your weir door is installed in your skimmer so it sucks debris in properly with the water level a little over 1/2 way up the skimmer plate. You can also try a skimmer sock or hairnet to help catch the fine stuff. Be sure to check it often & also backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure like @YippeeSkippy said.
I will get a picture of the steps and post. I have skimmer socks coming. I think the water is high enough for it to skim properly. The return is pointed in the opposite direction of the skimmer and pointed down slightly.

Attachments

• 243E1C48-CC2C-4D55-98EC-42AB43CD0EC2.jpeg
    243E1C48-CC2C-4D55-98EC-42AB43CD0EC2.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 7
  • 9CBB06B2-5669-4BA2-9ACD-2728EF9B7A45.jpeg
    9CBB06B2-5669-4BA2-9ACD-2728EF9B7A45.jpeg
    831.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 50761E1E-ECBD-40D3-8B72-099EF9B66840.jpeg
    50761E1E-ECBD-40D3-8B72-099EF9B66840.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 7
Here are some ideas 👇

Having weights also makes the steps easier to remove because u can just slide the steps out & remove the weights then pull them out of the pool separately.
I have sealed bleach bottles filled with concrete hanging from the inside of mine with a rope.
Are those little circles on the sides where u put the sand?
If so - remove them & spray water in there to get the sand out
You may need to drill more holes at the bottom of each “path” so it will flow out unless there are caps that I can’t see.
Then just leave all the caps out so u can inspect in there regularly & squirt a little bleach in there every now & then along with spraying the hose down in there.
I think @kellyfair has steps like that so lets see what she does.

Last edited:
Here are some ideas 👇

Having weights also makes the steps easier to remove because u can just slide the steps out & remove the weights then pull them out of the pool separately.
I have sealed bleach bottles filled with concrete hanging from the inside of mine with a rope.
Are those little circles on the sides where u put the sand?
If so - remove them & spray water in there to get the sand out
You may need to drill more holes at the bottom of each “path” so it will flow out unless there are caps that I can’t see.
Then just leave all the caps out so u can inspect in there regularly & squirt a little bleach in there every now & then along with spraying the hose down in there.
I think @kellyfair has steps like that so lets see what she does.
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.