metals in water

FPM,

use the Proteam or order some Jack's magic. I think it is easier to prevent stains than treat them. DO NOT SHOCK THE POOL 24 HRS BEFORE OR AFTER USING METAL OUTS !!!. Some shocks have cal hypo in them and adding calicum and metal outs cause a big cloudy mess.
clean those cartridge filter with electrosol dishwasher detergent mixed with water and soak em overnight in a big garbage can. they should spray clean the next day. best thing i ever did was replace those cartridges with a sand filter and i talking a brand new pool with carts only 1 month old. what a PITA to clean those things.
also order Dave's kit. it's great and i use it myself.

http://www.tftestkits.com/

Since it seems that it is your fill water that has metals in it, you will have to use a sequestering agent in your water at all times. I have learned that there is really no way to get metals out of the water, you just have to bind them to the sequestering agent. Proteam metal magic is supposed to turn metals into a salt so that they can be vacuumed out, but I don't really know if this is true. I would recommend Jack's Magic, Metal Free, Sequasol and Metal Magic, these are some that I have used. Let me explain what will likely cause metals to fall out of solution. If you have high chlorine along with high ph, the metals will fall out and stain the surface of the pool. There are ways to get the metals back into solution and then sequester them - so if you have any stains, don't worry, they will come off. You will want to keep your ph on the low side if you have metals in the water. I like to keep mine between 7.0 and 7.4. When you want to shock, make sure you add sequestering agent (there is a matainance dose on the back of the bottle) Whenever you add fill water add it through your skimmer. You should use a skimmer sock (or old knee high) on the skimmer basket, this will help too. Since you have a cartdrige filter, I wouldn't add DE or put a puck in the skimmer. as this may damage your filter. Whenever you add water, make sure your ph is on the low side. You don't need any calcium in a vinyl liner, but if it is 450 you just want to keep your alk on the low side so that you don't get any calcium participate.

If you have enough sequestering agent in the water, you should test neg for metals, if you test positive, then you need to add sequester. I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions you may have - I know how confusing all of this is when you first start to deal with it :)

Don't worry, it will start to make sense :-D It is all so confusing, but once you learn your own pool you will know exactly what to do. Yes getting the water clear and clean is the biggest part 8) . The sequestering will not get rid of calcium. THe only way to get rid of it that I know of is to drain and refill. THere are some products that claim to get rid of it, and there are some companys in places like Arizona that can remove calcium from pool water, but I am not familiar with them. The best thing you can do for yourself is what you have already done - take control of your own pool! Another is to get a good test kit, and read as much as you can on the forums here. When you have a test kit you can rely on, you will be able to test your calcium. That is a big difference between 70 and 406! If your water is clear, then there is no precipitate, which is very good :-D Feel free to ask any questons you have

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.