Wooster, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hi! We just did the "paper towel in the skimmer basket" trick and within a half hour, it was brown!

We fought with a green pool all last summer (first season with any problems of our 5 years with this pool!) and the pool store said it was algae so we shocked and shocked and shocked and finally just had to close it. (Our liner is almost white now BTW.) I just recently found TFP thankfully and opened a few days ago. The water was clear with a lot of fine debris on the bottom. Of course we had to fill in order to vacuum and the pool turned green again. We still were thinking this was algae...we added a gallon of liquid chlorine. So I just measured and my FC is 25. Oops. The water has turned green/yellow/brown. Thats when it occurred to do the paper towel test!
What should we do next? I just ordered Jack's Magic Pink Stuff and it will be here Saturday.

FC - 25
pH - 7.2
TA - 140
CYA - 40

Welcome to the forum.
Stuff the skimmer basket with poly fill (pillow stuffing). Check it every couple hours and rinse it out. Get as much iron out as you can while it is oxidized (rust) due to the high FC.

Do not add the sequestrant until you have removed as much iron as you can.

Ok - we have been filtering through poly fill for about 18 hours now. We made a big filter also! The water is still very brown/green/yellow.

FC - 22
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - Above 225
CYA - 40

I would not do any DE right now. Your first focus is to clear up the iron in the water. Then deal with any other issues. Do not raise your FC above 16 ppm in the future (SLAM level for your CYA). You risk bleaching out your liner.

Still filtering! Water is now a yellow green and we can see the bottom when the stuff settles and then we vacuum. Still reading high chlorine.
We are still going!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning! I took some pictures before I did anything this morning so you guys could direct me as to what to do next. We are still filtering for the metal and the sand is generally getting it out also. These pictures are looking like algae tho right :/

FC - 10
TA - 110
CYA - 301755570A-D77F-4A7C-BA6D-B4E4EBD3495B.jpeg

Attachments

• 37633020-79E9-4C85-B431-473BDDA24774.jpeg
    37633020-79E9-4C85-B431-473BDDA24774.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 3
Ok thank you! - but we have not been doing anything but filtering for the metal. What would you do from here? Start slam now? What about the metals in the water?

We had to add water last night (filtered of course!!) and still slamming.
FC - 19
TA -130
CYA - 60

Why does my CYA keep rising? Because then I keep needing to add LC!

Hi. No we are not adding anything except for liquid chlorine (according to pool math app). Nothing else happening here except that we added filtered water last night and it has been raining here. Water temp is 66*. We are still trying to filter for metals a bit too. Water is blue/green and cloudy. We can see the bottom a bit and we can see stuff on the bottom like in the pictures above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.