Metal Staining on liner, steps. Having problems clearing up

Re: Metal Staining on liner, steps. Having problems clearin

OK ... so I"m going to add another full dose of Metasol (HEDP sequestrant) and 1.8 litres of 6% bleach all at once into the pool as soon as I get home this afternoon. Fingers crossed we see some positive changes. (I now have 8 days until our party!!)

I would not add them 'at once' if that means pour them into the pool at the same time. I would turn on the pump, add the Chlorines by pouring in front of the return, run the pump 30-60 minutes and then add the HEDP

lgayton said:
OK ... so I"m going to add another full dose of Metasol (HEDP sequestrant) and 1.8 litres of 6% bleach all at once into the pool as soon as I get home this afternoon. Fingers crossed we see some positive changes. (I now have 8 days until our party!!)
I thought you were at home! You must first fix your TA and pH as mentioned a few hours ago! Then;

Add the sequestrant first and circulate about an hour as techguy said, and then add the FC.

Recheck the FC dose. I get about 1.3 liter 6%.

Never add more than one chemical at the time.

p.s. I recommend that folks wait until swim season is near over before starting the AA treatment. It can really get in the way of a fun summer in the pool, and you need to be around to monitor and dose. Something for those thinking about it and following along......

lgayton said:
Will add the baking soda first, then sequestrant, then bleach.See below I'll go with your amount since it's less.
How much time would you leave between each product when adding?
Generally, 30 to 60 minutes (with pump running).
Just to be clear, first test and adjust the TA. When TA is good, test and adjust pH if needed.

then,

Add sequestrant. After an hour of pump running, slowly add the bleach.

Hi again - so last night, I added baking soda, let that circulate, then added another 2 cups of metal sequestrant, after an hour I added 1.3 litres of 6% bleach. This morning, my readings are: FC = 0, TC = 0.5, TA = 100, ph = 7.0, hardness = 130, and CYA = 25. Anything that is white in the pool (steps, return, etc) is now a light brown and the sides appear yellow. I assume this means the metals are coming out of the water and onto the sides? What do you suggest - keep adding more bleach?

When you see stains returning, you should stop adding chlorine and add more sequestrant. Wait, allow time to circulate, and then start back with chlorine. Monitor the process.

If you are not at home and cannot babysit the process, I'm not quite sure what to say except that you may need to do the SLAM process now and then try AA treatment again at the end of swim season.

Maybe someone else can chime in and offer some comments.

I am at home; was just at work yesterday. I'll add more sequestrant, although I'm surprised at the amount I've added total for the size of our pool - about 2 litres now. Going out to add more sequestrant now. Thanks!

During the day, I added another stabilizer puck since CYA was low. Checked on the pool and the staining is completely back. I put the pump into recirculate and dumped in another entire litre of sequestrant. I still haven't been able to raise the chlorine level. I'm letting the sequestrant circulate for 6 hours, backwash, then filter. I'm not expecting any change in the color of the pool, yet I know if I added more AA it would turn blue again, but I'm worried about not having chlorine in the water. What do I try next? Our pool party is now only a week away :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Now that my chlorine levels are up, the pool is completely yellow-brown now. You can't see the bottom and it looks horrible. I don't know what else to do other than add the ascorbic acid again in order to turn it blue. Looks like I"m back to square one since the metal sequestrant doesn't seem to be helping with anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.