Metal Reinforced O Ring Used in the Newer Hayward DE Filters Between the Upper and Lower Housings - Substitute Using Older Style All Rubber O Ring?

texaspoolman57

Jun 22, 2022
Frisco
The guy at the supply house where I buy my equipment told me that the old all rubber only O ring can be used in place of this new very expensive metal reinforced O ring and it will work just fine.

Anyone have any info on whether this is true or not?

TIA

I have never recommended the use of a substitute, very different from OEM, part for any pool equipment where the failure might cause harm or damage. Don't know why Hayward's engineers chose to use that type O ring, perhaps to eliminate the need for the stainless ring that is used in older models. They get paid to make those decisions and, regardless my opinion, I just use what is supplied to eliminate problems and liability that may arise if something I used to substitute caused them. Unless it is recorded, all a pool store has to say is, "That was never said."

The extreme example, Thiokol O rings in 1986. Wasn't their fault as the O ring was used at temperatures outside its recommended range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.