Metal Plate on Side of Auto Cover Well?

eFoil_Pilot

Jan 13, 2024
Austin, TX
I'm planning to install a pool this year where two sides will be slightly elevated above the natural slope of my property.

Ideally, these two sides will have a thickness of ~12", as we have a pretty small yard and are on the limit of setbacks and impervious coverage.

Thus, one corner of my automatic pool cover will be right on the edge of the slab.

One PB I'm evaluating says we can simply bolt a metal plate over the side of the cover well, so we don't have to pour concrete on the side. See attached.

This passes the common sense test to me, but the cover well would be some degree weaker than a full concrete well - does this idea concern anyone here? If anything, it would make it easier to inspect/adjust/lube that side of the cover, methinks.

Thanks!

Attachments

• metal plate for autocover well.jpg
    metal plate for autocover well.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 19
Your description is too vague.

Can you provide a better description including drawings?

What autocover manufacturer will they use?

Contact the manufacturer to see what they say about the well design.

Your description is too vague.

Can you provide a better description including drawings?

What autocover manufacturer will they use?

Contact the manufacturer to see what they say about the well design.
Thank you for the reply! I'm in discussions with more than one builder, and they use various different covers.

So far, my first choice is the Aquamatic Compact Drive for two reasons:
  1. The hydraulic motor can be located outside of the cover well, so I assume service/repairs will be easier than other options
  2. It only needs 12" of space on both sides so it should be easier to manage tile/coping

Attached are general concepts with an Aquamatic Compact Drive, as well as a more traditional, larger cover that requires 24-30" on one side. Regardless, my hope is to have the right side of the cover well flush(ish) with the outside of the retaining wall that makes the right side of the pool.

Attachments

• Travertine Tile Subway Concept.png
    Travertine Tile Subway Concept.png
    8 KB · Views: 2
  • Traditional Cover Well Sizing (orange outline).png
    Traditional Cover Well Sizing (orange outline).png
    5.9 KB · Views: 2
This is the motor side of our cover well area. The thickness of this end of the well is probably about 6" since it's not bearing the water load. The lack of rigidity created by having a steel plate over that area versus integral gunite, is not at all important. There is no outward pressure whatsoever on either of those walls. Any inward pressure on the left wall in my picture would be just gravel from underneath the decking. And keep in mind that autocovers installed on vinyl pools use PVC wells inserted into a pressure treated wooden structure. I see no issue with the proposal. Of course, ask the manufacturer, but from a laymen's gut check perspective, all seems good to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.