Melt's 2012 backyard changes

6 months later, and I've made about 1 month's worth of progress! Between traveling much of the summer and losing my primary helper to the woes of pregnancy, not a ton has happened.

The broken gas line was fixed, I finished running irrigation to the existing beds near the lawn and to the back bed, and I put all the pavers back. Then a week or so ago, I had some family in town and they helped me form and pour a footer for the front of the raised bed in back. I decided just stacking stone on the pavers wasn't going to cut it. I'm just doing the one large bed for now; the other can wait or a year or two. My gate was denied by the HOA, but I don't care at this point since I'm not building that part yet. Plus, I'm about to join the landscaping review committee...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? I'll just build it later, whether they like it or not.

Now I have some decisions to make, and opinions are welcome.
- I have to build the wall out of something. I put some vertical rebar in the footer so I can use concrete block to make the wall, then face it with some kind of stone. Or, I could follow my original thought and build the whole thing of stacked stone, mortared on the backside to hold it together but so the mortar won't show from the front. I think the stacked stone will be easier to follow the curves than block; a bit more expensive though
- I have to run the irrigation lines from where they are right now (in the bucket) across the bed to the other side. I can run it on top of the existing ground surface (more stable substrate) or I can raise them up nearer the top of the bed (more accessible for repairs). I can run them in the back of the bed (straight lines) or in the front (more accessible) since 1/2" pvc is pretty flexible. I'm thinking shallow and in the front.

DSCN6425.jpg

DSCN6428.jpg

DSCN7309.jpg

DSCN7324.jpg

DSCN7336.jpg

DSCN7350.jpg

The last month or so...yes, I know it's 2013 now :hammer: Hoping to have plants in it by spring...I should make it. The bed is entirely done now (pictures don't show it quite finished), and we're having some new fences built. I had a little scare with the fences, since the guy who is building them told me that they would not meet code if we just shortened them...since now a kid could get a foothold on the new raised block wall. He's going to talk to the city and we'll probably build the whole thing out of various densities of mesh.

DSCN7804.jpg

DSCN7812.jpg

DSCN7818.jpg

DSCN7817.jpg

DSCN7851.jpg

DSCN7850.jpg

DSCN7848.jpg

I should mention I didn't do the masonry myself :( With a new baby, there's just no time. They say "if you want something done right, do it yourself", and boy I wish I had been able to. It looks good, but there are some small things that annoy me already. I'll probably get over it.

I've finished running the irrigation and electrical conduit beneath the pavers, so all that's left, really, is to put some dirt in it and finish the piping. The irrigation will be buried ~6" below the top of the soil, so I can get to it if I need to, rather than burying it beneath 20" of soil.

Nearing completion, more than a year after it started...

I calculated just shy of 10 yards of soil, which turned out to be almost the perfect amount. I guess I'm better at math than I thought :crazy: I have 3 or 4 wheelbarrow loads left, which will help as the soil settles a bit.

Fence work will begin as soon as we make a decision on the design...should be this week. This weekend the fun starts - buying and planting things! I'll finish up the plumbing sometime soon...not quite so urgent since it's february.

DSCN8541_zps1132e88e.jpg

DSCN8542_zps4d3c1e0e.jpg

DSCN8577_zps59a8d524.jpg

DSCN8576_zps7a7c3efe.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.