Meeting today!

dkw27

Feb 22, 2023
Kansas City, MO
Hello! My husband and I meet with the pool builder this afternoon. We think we know what we want size wise, 18x36 IG vinyl. Our biggest dilemma seems to be deciding between a traditional shallow to deep end, or a sports pool. I see the pros and cons to both but at the end of the day either pool style will be well used and enjoyed by our family. My husband is leaning more towards sports style. I am seriously so torn on this decision. I can't expect anyone to make the decision for us, but would love any input from others who have considered these options. Thank you!

Congrats! :goodjob: As you get more into the build review process, be sure to come back here and post any notes, build lists, etc and we'll be glad to look them over. You'd be surprised the items we ID for new TFP members that they had no idea about and the builder "conveniently" omitted form estimates or tried to push a piece of equipment into the build.

Reactions: dkw27 and Newdude
Sometimes you'll hear people say the deep end of the pool isn't usable. I understand the perspective on this comment but I'll add this from my view. Our pool is also large-ish, at 18' x 38', and similar to your size, and has a deep end. You can stand in half of the pool. That's plenty of space for the max amount of people (meaning adults) that want to stand in a pool. Kids don't seem to give a hoot about the depth. The full pool is quite usable for floating and the deep end works well for diving or deep jumping (my two primary activities in the pool beside randomly swimming/jumping around or shooting hoops). One thing you can't do well however, in a deep end pool, is play volleyball.

And yes, certainly agree on the benefits of sharing your details for feedback.

Hey DKW and Welcome !!!!

You can't please all of the people, all of the time. That said, you're building a 'swimming pool'. The volleyball court can go on the other side of the house. 😁

(I had one at my old house. A legit Olympic net was $100 and 2 4x4s, some cement and eyebolts later, the pool was for swimming).

Reactions: dkw27
If you do a L shaped pool you get the best of both worlds!! Foot is the play area at 4' deep while the leg is the slope to the deep end at at least 7' for diving and such fun as that. Also make sure to look at "watermelon ball"! It is the best pool game out there!

Thank you all so very much for your input! I value different perspectives and experiences! This gives me plenty to share with my husband as we continue to go back and forth on sport or deep end lol. Our meeting went great and we placed a deposit to begin April 15th! Just need to make a final style decision and let them know by Monday. Thank you all again!

Reactions: Newdude
This gives me plenty to share with my husband as we continue to go back and forth on sport or deep end
Save the big guns for a last resort while hoping for an amicable resolution. But if you have to, you can show him page 2 of the marriage rulebook. Article 1 clearly states : Nothing rhymes with happy husband. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Save the big guns for a last resort while hoping for an amicable resolution. But if you have to, you can show him page 2 of the marriage rulebook. Article 1 clearly states : Nothing rhymes with happy husband. (y)
LOL! I really want him to be happy, this is our dream and we have saved for 1000 days to make it a reality. I will be happy no matter what but I want to make sure he is too! The liner decision may be a breaking point tho 😆

The liner decision may be a breaking point tho 😆
I would like to suggest going borderless to have less to choose between. IMO they came about in the 80s to try and fancy up liner pools like plaster ones with pretty waterline tiles. Except, they aren't tiles. So you're looking at vinyl seashells or Aztec designs that don't belong there. Going borderless is a far cleaner look IMO because it's not trying too hard being the pool version of linoleum flooring. And, they only make certain liners that way so you have to pick 1 that's close to what you liked instead of 15 nearly identical patterns.

Also. You only need to get to the suburbs.
..... of the ballpark...... of the color/patern you like. Lemme know which blue I picked. I'll be darned if I know.

Due to seasonal sun angles and daily weather, It's *rarely* the brochure pic :

Screenshot_20230223_114846_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230223_114853_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230223_114911_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230223_114922_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230223_114933_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230429_091015_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230429_090834_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230223_114940_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230223_115011_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230223_115015_Gallery.jpg

Also. You only need to get to the suburbs.
..... of the ballpark...... of the color/patern you like. Lemme know which blue I picked. I'll be darned if I know.

View attachment 474487View attachment 474488View attachment 474489View attachment 474490View attachment 474491View attachment 474492View attachment 474493View attachment 474494
View attachment 474504

Due to seasonal sun angles and daily weather, It's *rarely* the brochure pic :

View attachment 474506
Beautiful color at all times of day! I'm enjoying going through the multiple liner threads and seeing what others have selected. So many different ones, yet so many similar ones!

So many different ones, yet so many similar ones!
Every last one of them will throw 100 shades at you. They might be gray during a storm, black or red at dusk, and yellow at sunrise. Then the actual base color will change by the hour throughout the day. It's wild and yet everyone agonizes over a momentary snapshot in a brochure that they'll rarely see in person.

I had a dark navy blue and now an electric blue liner and they overlap 75% of their shades. Figure out if you want gray, green/teal or blue. Then throw a dart at the booklet for the remaining hard choice. :ROFLMAO:

I'm enjoying going through the multiple liner threads
Here's the biggie if you didn't already find it. I'm waiting for spring to add mine. (Looploc Blue Grotto / borderless). The yard was a war zone until late fall and I didn't take many pics during the aftermath.

Here's the biggie if you didn't already find it. I'm waiting for spring to add mine. (Looploc Blue Grotto / borderless). The yard was a war zone until late fall and I didn't take many pics during the aftermath.

I just looked it up on google and that's a great color! But you're right, there's SO many similar shades, hues, designs, and all different names. It's silly to think about how much we overthink it! I made myself take a break from thinking about the pool or liners at all and today I found the one I really love! We are going with Blue Slate, no border!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
It's silly to think about how much we overthink it
Wanna REALLY blow your mind ? These are my 2 liners.

20220712_104441.jpg

This is the light liner (new)

Screenshot_20230228_182417_Gallery.jpg

This is the dark liner. (Old)

Screenshot_20230228_181551_Gallery.jpg

They overlap so many shades it's crazy. Trust me, whatever you picked will look awesome. I googled yours and liked it alot, but even if I didn't, I'd still love it in person.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.