Meeting for new build today!

dkw27

Feb 22, 2023
Kansas City, MO
Hello! We are meeting with the pool builder this afternoon. We have 3 kids (12, 9, 4). Oldest 2 on swim team, and our youngest in swim lessons. We want a pool our family can enjoy, have friends/family over for volleyball, grilling, hanging out, and swim laps. The biggest dilemma is choosing a traditional deep end, or a sports pool. My husband is super into the sports pool option-he says we will use more of the pool that way. While I am totally good with a deep end. Why do I want a deep end? I don’t have a great reason lol. I grew up with a shallow to deep end pool so assume it’s best. We are looking at 18x36 vinyl for our yard. Any input or suggestions would be amazing! So happy I found this website!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Choosing a pool type is a personal choice and requires a bit of thought as to its main purpose. It can be challenging. :hammer: Get out some paper, wrrite down all the pros & cons, and don't forget your growing family. Not so much the amount of children, but their ages and when they may fly the nest. Guests are fine, but it's your pool, so invest in what will make YOU happy.

When you start the build process, feel free to start a new thread in the Under Construction sub-forum so we can follow along. Good luck!

Reactions: dkw27
Deep ends are safer for diving. Everyone likes to cannon ball and dive on occasion. I *wish* I had a deeper pool. You can float around in the deep end on a noodle or raft as easy as a shallow end, but the deeper water does allow for more active diving activities.
If you choose to go for sports only, consider a pool that goes 3.5'-5'-4' water depths. Anything more shallow than 3.5' won't allow for swimming laps as you'll scrape knuckles. Make sure you specify *water depths* and not wall heights.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: dkw27 and Newdude