Measuring and cutting PVC pipe

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To the pros out there - when measuring a pipe that will go between two fittings do you simply calculate:

fitting depth A + length of pipe + fitting depth B = length of pipe needed

Or, do you subtract a little bit of pipe length to allow for glue or variances in the pipe or fittings (not perfectly square cut, manufacturing variances, etc)?

I wouldn't call myself a pro, but I did install my own SWG last week. I go with the former. PVC pipe can be forgiving if you don't get it exact. Just make sure you are using the pressure rated schedule 40 fittings and not the DWV (Drain, waste, vent) schedule 40 fittings. The pressure fittings have a much deeper fitting depth giving the glue a lot more surface area.

Reactions: Wistlo
C-man,

My method is to cut the pipe too long and then remeasure and cut the pipe too long again.. Then I remeasure and cut the pipe too short. Then I get in the car and head back to Home Depot for more pipe. This cycle goes on until I accidentally get things right.. :mrgreen:

Jim R.

Thanks for that, I snorted coffee through my nose. So far, I have actually spent more time going back and forth to Lowe's than I have working on the project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.