Maytronics M400 Dolphin - Dead? and Recommendation?

Gigem94

Gold Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Good morning TFP experts.

In Aug of 2016 my booster pump died and I decided then to dump the dated Polaris 380, cap off the booster line, and invested in an M400. Over the years the robot has performed well, and the only issue I encountered would be when one of the tracks was dislodged and I had to manually pull it back on. The only part I've replaced were the fine filters as the little black holding clips eventually snapped off. I used to follow the recommendation and would drop the robot in and pull it after a run, but the last couple of years I got lazy and just left the robot in the pool with a daily schedule and would pull just to clean the filters.

Over the last couple of weeks, I noticed the daily runtime diminished to about an hour a run, and now I can't even get the unit to run. I searched the interwebs and this forum and did the multi-point voltage tests to confirm the outlet, power supply, and cable were all pulling the right voltage. I'm betting now that the motor is the failure point based upon further research from threads on this forum; before I toss the unit, I'd like to ask if there was anything else I should be testing that might be the issue (rather than the motor). When I pulled it out and ran a test, the impeller turns just the slightest, and VERY slowly, then stops; and repeats. I'm guessing not, and 7yrs sounds like a 'great' lifespan for the unit, and sure to be outside any warranty window.

Assuming I need to replace, it looks like the Dolphin Explorer E30 would be a solid recommendation/equivalent, but open to suggestions. I'm just looking for a reliable robot, don't need the wifi/bluetooth and manual clean non-sense.

I did consider going back to the boosted polaris, but that would involve adding a new timer, plus the new booster motor and polaris. And then there's the operational cost uptick for the electricity and the maintenance items for the polaris and seems like too much trouble for no real gain.

Appreciate the help and feedback. Thanks!!

I wouldn’t sink any money or time into it, it’s dead. 7 years, at least nowadays, is “winning the lottery” on robot life. Whatever you replace it with now likely won’t give you 7 years as TFP sees a lot of dead robot posts in the 3-5 year time frame. I can’t recommend robots because I’ve given up on them and went back to my suction side cleaner. It works fine for what I need.

There are some threads regarding new robot makers like EVO and Aiper, but the jury is still out on those if they are any better than Maytronics.

Good luck.

Check out this review... New EVO 614i Robot Pool Cleaner Review

So far I really like it. Initially, the EVO did not have a weekly timer. This was ok with me as I tend to only put it in my pool when it needs cleaning. But I have two rent house pools where the weekly timer is a requirement. But, in the last week or so, they have update the app so that it includes a weekly timer... :goodjob:

At this point all my robots are working, but as the older Dolphins start to die, they will be replaced with the EVO.

All of my robots have lasted between 5 and 7 years... But, I agree with Matt, that the latest batch of Dolphins seems to have a lot of early failures. :(

Only time will tell on the EVO.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mayorb
Thanks Matt and Jim - great feedback on the other threads and thanks for sharing that 614i review detail - it addressed all my main questions/points of concern.

Spoke to Margaret at Marina (she's great btw) and she pointed me to the Evo 614iq @ $849 (don't see the 614i, maybe due to availability). She also mentioned the A20 @ $899 but said the 614iQ was more feature rich at a lower price point. She did say the 614 app was updated and the scheduling (which is all I care about) can be done from there (vs the power supply). Guess I'll pull the trigger on the EVO as well and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.