Maybe this can't be done: Semi-inground pool patio

Hi neighbor! :wave: Your pool is the cousin of my Johnny Weissmuller pool. On mine the top flat piece is very strong aluminum, I walk on it whenever I vacuum the pool. I can't zoom into your picture to see if it's built the same. My setup is a normal AG pool and I used the Lowe's brand (Veranda??) composite decking in tan. It goes right up to the outside of the upper pool piece. You can see the height of the deck in my avatar. It's so nice to be able to sit on the deck and hang your feet in. I don't find the deck any warmer than wood PT, at least in my color. It has stained some from the oak trees we have that hang over the deck, other wise I like the low maintenance.

dogrescuer said:
Hi inisfada! The good part about the semi inground is that the 2' above ground of wall really reduces the visitor population (frogs are down to zero since removing the berm).

But it's really hard to get an inground look. People here say "it can be done" but that's got me about as far as I already was before I joined TFP!

Once thing I'd caution you on is using too many materials.
[attachment=1:32tjf4zn]many_materials.jpg[/attachment:32tjf4zn]
Doesn't it seem like there are too many materials in this design?

I ran over the pavers and stones in Photoshop to make it look like cement.

[attachment=0:32tjf4zn]many_materials_cement.jpg[/attachment:32tjf4zn]

Which version do you prefer?

Hi Dogrescuer! Thank you for your input. I definitely see what you mean about too many materials. I was was considering a smallish deck with huge platform steps which would be used for entering and exiting the pool. Additionally, the steps would be used for seating area. The remainder of the pool area would consist of pavers. The pool area would also be enclosed with a white vinyl fence. I have a jack russell that I am sure would wind up putting a hole in the liner!! LOL

I have an inground that I had the installer put 1 Foot out of ground, for reasons I was going to do decking myself as no one would guarantee concrete border would not crack. Here are some pictures, if you take your time, you can do anything with wood. I used Wester Red Cedar, all drill holes were filled with an epoxy/wood mix so it would take stain. I have had this 6 years now and not one board is showing rot anywhere. I routed the underside of the boards around the pool and also around the steps, sure it took some time, but I think its a really good finish and works as coping would.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Pool 2.JPG
    Pool 2.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 209
dogrescuer said:
:wave: Hi! Yup I think the JW the EW are pretty similar. Do you have any larger pictures? My old eyes are having some difficulty.
I couldn't find the avatar picture which was when the deck was new. Here's one from on the deck, it could use some cleaning...maybe next spring... :wink: I've thought about jacking the deck up a bit higher to make it even but it works fine the way it is. Maybe better this way to easily see the pool edge.

Attachments

• DSCF0054.JPG
    DSCF0054.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 199
I dont need to get at the coping, my cedar is the coping. If anything is needed to get at the coping, I simply remove the plug over the screw, and unscrew the board. I am still able to get at the rubber thingy that you push the liner into as it is on the sides. All in all, it was very simple and for the price of a 3' concrete ring around the pool, I was able to build a 1400 sq ft deck. Also should be noted, under every part of the deck is 4 feet of gravel. So with no earth or grass touching the wood, I am estimating it will easily last 20 years or more, but that time, I wont be here :)

I have seen far to many concrete decks that crack or lift and I wasn't going to let that happen to my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dogrescuer said:
Mike: nice!
What is the material on the coping, is that decking board?
Hmm, I think what you are talking about is the top aluminum plate that goes all around the pool, a yellow torpedo is sitting on it in my picture. It happens to be tan on mine, part of the reason I got the same color deck boards. Maybe this is called coping? I don't know all the pool part names. One of the pictures you posted showed the metal as white. On my pic you can see a small space and step up between the deck and pool plate (coping?). That metal plate is at least 1/8" thick and strong, I think they call it extruded aluminum. I've seen many pools that the top piece is very flimsy, this is part of the reason I got this particular pool so we could sit on the edge without harming the pool.

inisfada said:
Hi Dogrescuer! Thank you for your input. I definitely see what you mean about too many materials. I was was considering a smallish deck with huge platform steps which would be used for entering and exiting the pool. Additionally, the steps would be used for seating area. The remainder of the pool area would consist of pavers. The pool area would also be enclosed with a white vinyl fence. I have a jack russell that I am sure would wind up putting a hole in the liner!! LOL
I love Jack Russells. Of course I love all dogs. but I love the terriers because they have so much personality. They don't know they're small dogs!!

I love really wide long steps. It encourages people to sit together like a city stoop, only it's better because it's your back yard.

I like the idea of a deck plus pavers. I'm headed that way myself unless I find a genius who can show me another way. For instance I talked to my landscaper (hardscaper, certified concrete, all the education) about the retaining wall idea. He said I can't put pavers or concrete on anything except prepared ground. We can't cantilever them or anything.

Also I love white vinyl fence. I have cedar 6' high which I'm either replacing with vinyl or painting white.

MikeInNH said:
dogrescuer said:
Mike: nice!
What is the material on the coping, is that decking board?
Hmm, I think what you are talking about is the top aluminum plate that goes all around the pool, a yellow torpedo is sitting on it in my picture. It happens to be tan on mine, part of the reason I got the same color deck boards. Maybe this is called coping? I don't know all the pool part names. One of the pictures you posted showed the metal as white. On my pic you can see a small space and step up between the deck and pool plate (coping?). That metal plate is at least 1/8" thick and strong, I think they call it extruded aluminum. I've seen many pools that the top piece is very flimsy, this is part of the reason I got this particular pool so we could sit on the edge without harming the pool.
Yup the thing with the torpedo on it is the coping. When it's white it really sticks out as ABOVE GROUND COPING. That's one of the reasons I want to go over it with the decking. My lumber guy said I can put boards next to it but my landscaper said I can't put a board over it because there's nothing to screw it to. If I put framing over the coping then if I ever need to get at the coping I'd have to remove both boards and the framing.

dogrescuer said:
Yup the thing with the torpedo on it is the coping. When it's white it really sticks out as ABOVE GROUND COPING. That's one of the reasons I want to go over it with the decking. My lumber guy said I can put boards next to it but my landscaper said I can't put a board over it because there's nothing to screw it to. If I put framing over the coping then if I ever need to get at the coping I'd have to remove both boards and the framing.
I see. I know your pool is new but could you bring the coping and end covers to someone to have them painted (or powder coated) your color of choice? I personally would not want to put deck or stone over the coping. To me the added height from the water would bug me and I like the option of easily taking the coping off if needed.

You're welcome. If you go the paint route make sure it can take being outside in the sun and the chlorinated water on it. Mine looks powder coated and is still decent after many many years. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

dogrescuer said:
phonedave said:
My local lumber yard says that he gets more complaints about Azek powder coming up (like hot vinyl chemical changes) than any complaints he gets for Fiberon. He'd actually rather I get Fiberon over Azek. I was surprised about that. Azek has a white board that I think would look beautiful. The thing about composites is that they try to look like wood. When they're gray or white, they look like *painted* wood, which makes them much more visually acceptable.

So what is CMU?

Also - I get why concrete is an issue - but pavers would be a problem too? I was given to believe that you can pull up pavers if need be. Though as I think of it, that would leave out the Azek pavers, as they sit in a plastic shell rather than as individual bricks.

The Azek trim on my shed gets dirty on the edges - it is slightly porus and dirt seems to stick nicely to it.

A CMU is a Concrete Masonry Unit - What many people call "cinder blocks"

I was thinking, if you built two "retaining wall" (really they are not retaining anything, just serving as foundation walls. - put one a foot from the edge of the pool. Put the other 4 feet from the pool (3 feet behind the first one). Now build 4' x 4' squares of decking. Put whatever you want on it, composite, plastic tile trays, whatever. Build them with elongated "tails" on them that would slide into sockets in the second wall.

That way you, if you had to remove a second, you would pull it fowards toward the pool an then lift it out. Of course each 4' x 4' section is going to weigh something - it depends on what you put on it. By doing it this way, you have a 1 foot moment arm extending from the close wall to the pool edge, and a 3' moment arm from that wall to the anchor point. Even if you have 2, 200 lb adults standing on the edge of the pool next to each other, that is only (400)(1/3) = 133 lbs of uplift on the sockets you slide the tails into.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.