Max shock level for a vinyl liner, has pink slime.

He brought in a water sample today and I measured it with my kit.
FC = 0.5
CC = 2.0
TA now equals 160 because of all of the Borax he put in. :(
CYA 90
CH 200
pH 8
I told him to add muriatic acid to drop the pH down to 7.5-ish and hopefully that will bring down the TA a bit as well.
The I told him to add bleach again to shock it and measure tonight then measure again tomorrow morning.
Wondering if the lack of CL is due to the CYA being at 90.
Fall is approaching and he will close it soon which means draining some water out. So that ought to help with the CYA next season during the refill, but for now he can't seem to get the Chlorine straightened out.

FC = 0.5
CC = 2.0
CYA 90
CH 200
pH 8
I told him to add muriatic acid to drop the pH down to 7.5-ish and hopefully that will bring down the TA a bit as well.
The I told him to add bleach again to shock it and measure tonight then measure again tomorrow morning.
Fall is approaching and he will close it soon which means draining some water out. So that ought to help with the CYA next season during the refill, but for now he can't seem to get the Chlorine straightened out.

How much borax did he add? You would need 38 pounds of it to add 50ppm to TA, and that would raise pH about 2.6

Lack of a FC reading is not because of CYA, it's because of a lack of chlorine, either from algae/bacteria/organics, or just not adding enough. With a CYA of 90ppm, the FC is well protected from the sun. I keep my CYA at 70ppm and have no trouble holding 7-10ppm of FC.

FC = 0.5
CC = 2.0
CYA 90
CH 200
pH 8

231oz (14lbs) of Borax should have raised TA by only 18. When you do the TA test, the tip of the 3rd reagent R-0009 needs to be be wiped with a wet paper towel after each and every drop to neutralize the static charge and prevent the drops from getting smaller. Failure to do this will lead to a false high result. Make sure you read over all the extended test kit directions linked in my signature, particularly the notes for each at the bottom. They will help assure you that you are doing the tests right and get an accurate result.
Also, with a FC of .5 and CC of 2, he most likely has algae and needs to SLAM his pool. The algae and other organics are eating up the FC, but it's not high enough to actually kill off the algae.

He added 24 pounds of Borax. I told him to add 14 pounds. 7 pounds first then measure and then later 7 pounds again and measure. I don't know why he put in 24. I think he did three separate doses of 8 pounds and was using guess strips for the pH instead of my test kit.

He added 24 pounds of Borax. I told him to add 14 pounds. 7 pounds first then measure and then later 7 pounds again and measure. I don't know why he put in 24. I think he did three separate doses of 8 pounds and was using guess strips for the pH instead of my test kit.

That would raise it by 30ppm, so yea, way overkill. When you did the TA test, did you wipe the tip of the R-0009 bottle with a wet paper towel?

Did I wipe the tip? Admittedly no. So I guess it can be off by about 10% or so. I can repeat with the damp cloth but I think it is still way too high. Curious as to today's results after yesterday's specific instructions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have to transport a sample, keep it out of direct sunlight and avoid any high temperatures. When I was checking a friend's pool for him, I spray painted a water bottle black to keep out any sunlight.

Well it it helps, it is in a solid white plastic bottle, not a clear bottle and it has a tight fitting cap on it. Sort of like a water bottle you would use for going biking.
Regardless, he does the test at home with my kit and tells me the number, then brings a sample in to work and my kit with it and we do it here again to compare and it matches his readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.