Mastic, Repair or Replace?

Dabby

Aug 16, 2010
Saginaw, TX
I have a few spots around my pool where the mastic has separated from the coping. Can I just refill the "cracks" or does it all have to be removed and replaced?
I couldn't find any information if the new mastic would adhere sufficiently to the old. Thanks

Trying to fill those separation areas is not going to look good and the mastic is not thin enough to flow into small spaces.

You need to have the materials in place removed and then refill the expansion joint with foam backer rod and mastic.

Even better, really looks like grout, but I don't believe you can get anything to stick to cured polyurethane very well. As ajw22 mentioned, needs to be removed and replaced if it bothers you.
The coping stones are attached to the pool shell, the deck is separate. They will continue to move at different rates and this issue will keep happening regardless of what material is put there.

Thanks for the information. That's what I was wondering about, whether the new mastic would adhere to the old.

No, especially not withs and on top of it.

It needs to be scapred out and redone.

Is this something that needs to be taken care of right away, or can it wait?

Wait until when?

You want to get those gaps filled before the next freeze.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.