Mastertemp 400 keypad issues

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
heater is 8 years old - replaced keypad in 2020 and again this week - heater tech says now Pentair advises replace the control panel when you replace the keypad - this is an additional $800 part - and now Pentair only sells them together - makes it about an $1150 job (ouch)....fortunately the tech has several keypads stocked up so i was able to just pay $172 for the keypad. (plus the ever increasing labor costs)
tech told me most of his heater service calls are for mastertemp issues and he recommends Raypak as a replacement. I would not put out $1150 on an 8yo heater and will replace if it fails again.
any comments or feedback ?

The 5 button membrane keypad can be obtained from Amazon for $44 for a Pentair Keypad or $22 for a knockoff clone. The keypad is easy to replace if you can turn a screwdriver.

Do not fold the new keypad, first and foremost. The old is, literally, stuck to the panel itself. After removing all the old pad, carefully feed the lead thru the slot behind where the pad is stuck. There are little guides on the panel to show where the pad should sit. If its not set perfectly don't worry as once it is stuck it can't be removed without damage, try to get as close as possible, but it will continue to work.

If the MasterTemp board needs to be replaced then the keypad is changed to a 6 button keypad since the board was updated. Those parts cost $497.

Pentair does NOT recommend a board replacement if the keypad needs to be replaced.

I am sure your heater tech would like you to get a Raypak heater. He will enjoy charging you more for keeping that going,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.