Gold Supporter
Nov 10, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone. A few months ago, I noticed water pouring out from the bottom of my 4 year old Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater. After researching here, it appeared the the heater core had ruptured. I was able to locate a complete heater core replacement kit and a YouTube video explaining/showing how to replace the core. Before starting, I took photos of all of the wire connections so I would be able to cross-check and ensure that all the wiring was in the correct place when I put it all back together.
After replacing the heater core and reassembling the heater, I tried to fire it up via the Pentair Easytouch PL4/PSL4 Controller… but no joy. Nothing happened and the display on the MasterTemp was blank and all lights were off. In addition, the diagnostic led in the Fenwall control box Shows no activity at all.
Once again I researched and found some useful posts here on the forum and worked through diagnosing the problem. I found that if I tied the two wires of the Fireman’s Switch, the heater fired right off and the heaters panel display was working. When I hooked the Fireman’s Switch back up to the Easytouch Controller, the heater would not fire.
When I checked the voltagea the Fireman’s Switch, it reads at 25 volts. However, when I try to fire the heater via the EasyTouch controller, the voltage does not change at all at the Fireman’s Switch. (By the way, the fuse is just fine.)
Next I went to check the connections at the EasyTouch controller. I replaced the wire(s) between the EasyTouch controller and the Fireman’s Switch (just to be safe). I checked the voltage for the heater connection on the EasyTouch, it reads 25 volts. However, when I try to turn on the heater via the EasyTouch, there is no change in the voltage reading at all.
So, I’m now at a standstill and haven’t located any forum posts that describe my current issue and I need help.
Thanks in advance.
PS. I do have photos I can post if needed/requested.

Welcome to TFP.

The heater connection on the EasyTouch board is a simple OPEN/CLOSE relay that connects the firemans switch wire together much as you did to turn the heater on and off. No voltages are involved other then what is supplied by the heater.

Use the continuity test on your multimeter and see if the heater relay closes when you request heat on the EasyTouch. You should see the relay open and close as the EasyTouch turns the heater on and off.

If not you either are not controlling the EasyTouch correctly or you have a bad relay on the board.

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I'm away from the property today but will be back there tomorrow and will check as you suggest and reply back here.
Thank you, again.

Allen, you were correct… I was not controlling the EasyTouch correctly. I neglected to switch the pump over from the spool to the Spa… once I switched over the control/pump to the Spa and triggered the HEATER VIA THE EasyTouch, the heater fired right up. Thank you for the help. My wife can now lounge in the Spa. 😊

Glad you figured it out and thank you for the support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.