Mastertemp 400 heater AFS light

aperez0209

Sep 11, 2023
Hello.. new to the forum myself, and I have a doozy...
Pentair MasterTemp 400 gets to a certain temperature and shuts off with an AFS error. I then set the temperature to whatever it shut off at, the "Check Heater" light turns off, then I raise the temperature setting by a couple of degrees, and the heater turns on.
This cycle repeats until I get it up to the desired temperature.. any ideas??

Hello.. new to the forum myself, and I have a doozy...
Pentair MasterTemp 400 gets to a certain temperature and shuts off with an AFS error. I then set the temperature to whatever it shut off at, the "Check Heater" light turns off, then I raise the temperature setting by a couple of degrees, and the heater turns on.
This cycle repeats until I get it up to the desired temperature.. any ideas??
On the fan orifice there are 2 hoses that run to the AFS. Be sure both are on their respective connection and don't have holes (usually rodent damage) or cracks. Place to start.

Are you sure you are getting an AFS error?

Your symptoms sounds like a bad thermal regulator or bypass valve. I would check those.

Yes..
Turned over the control panel.
AFS error code light on.
Here the other strange thing...
The heater works well until the water temperature reaches 85°F.
AFS error turns on..
I then have to play with the temperature settings until the maximum temperature is reached.
I've replaced:
AFS switch
Thermistor
High Limit switch
Stack flue sensor

Any ideas??

Check the thermal regulator and bypass valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.