Blairsville GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
All summer water held in pool except for evaporation. Last 10 days hubby noticed a slight water drop and we assumed another leak in the skimmer. Went out of town on Wednesday until yesterday and luckily he had the forethought to turn off the pump. We returned to a drop of about 4 inches per day (clearly eliminating the skimmer and pump). Pics attached from yesterday and this a.m. We anticipated closing the pool for the winter this week.

I previously posted this thread for background info: "Our liner is on its last legs. Any recommendations in the North GA area? We’re in Blairsville and most likely our nearest source would be Gainsville or Atlanta. If not, since I’m just beginning my research and have lots of questions regarding liner options, what ?’s for contractor etc. Current status is plumbing is in great shape and only issue besides liner separating from coping and many ripples and one patch on the bottom. There is a small leak in one of the skimmers that’s holding each season after repair but know time is running out. Thanks for any input!"

He is now cleaning out all the leaves so we can look more easily for the leak. There are no obvious tears visable. Last month, we could only find one company to provide an "over the phone" estimate about replacing the liner and skimmers and planned to address it in the spring. Clearly, it has now become an urgent situation. I do believe based on what I've read, we CANNOT wait until spring as the pool cannot be left near empty or empty until then. Is that correct?

Are there any suggestions as to how to determine what the source might be at this point?

Greatly appreciate any help! Thanks
pool109.jpgpool109light.jpg

Attachments

• pool108.jpg
    pool108.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 12
I would let it go just a bit more. See if it stops at the light. If so, that's probably your problem area (niche). If it continues to drop below the light, there's something wrong around the liner or main drain if you have one. Is it too cold to get in the water there?

37 this am but low 60’s mid day. Should I try red dye around light? Think I can add a few drops around top without getting in.

Just wait for it to stop lowering. The water level will stop at the leak. You can’t do anything about it anyway until you get someone out there to consider doing a liner install. You may have to let it leak and then find and patch the leak, then refill and hope it holds over the winter. Then you can do a new liner in the spring.

Reactions: Geojaneo
Should I try red dye around light? Think I can add a few drops around top without getting in.
You can try. Might be a tough reach from the decking. Plus, if there's a leak in the back of the niche shell or conduit, the dye may not react (pull in) quite as dramatically from the retaining ring. But you can try. Of course if the water stops dropping at the bottom of the light it's confirmed.

We have 2 main drains.
If it stops at (or near) the light, can they consider that "drained for the winter" and close like normal?
We lost another 4” last night. Water level just above light niche. Guess I’ll know that answer tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will be a relevant question 🤞🤞🤞 we still cannot locate any tears (except mine) but at least we had the entire season to enjoy the pool. IMG_2596.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I waited to post until it stopped leaking. It had been 4” per day then after it reached about halfway down the niche, slowed to an inch or so for two days and now holding for the past 2 days.

So now the question is can we close as is? Have about a foot on the shallow end (3’)
and guessing 5’ + on the deep end (8’).
If okay to close how much chlorine should I add?

Definitely would like to wait till spring (if okay to do so) to replace liner, skimmers and ? gasket. Hubby capable of replacing gasket if suggested to do so now but he’s questioning could it be interior gasket encasing wires or outer gasket.

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated! Here’s today’s pics! IMG_2618.jpegIMG_2619.jpeg

My path would be to close as normal......including chlorine. You may consider a small submersible pump to keep the water flowing I think but, I assume you are replacing the liner this Spring so the pump may not matter.

A patch at the leak is not impossible but it sounds as if you are overdue for a new liner, anyway.

Sure seems like the light niche. I don’t know enough about vinyl pools to say whether it can be closed or not but it’s definitely at the lowest point TFP would suggest for draining. Since you plan to replace the liner I suppose a shifted liner doesn’t really matter much.

At least you made it through the swim season!!

My path would be to close as normal......including chlorine. You may consider a small submersible pump to keep the water flowing I think but, I assume you are replacing the liner this Spring so the pump may not matter.

A patch at the leak is not impossible but it sounds as if you are overdue for a new liner, anyway.
Definitely planned on replacing liner in the spring. How do I calculate amount of chlorine to add? Use Pool math at 1/2 the normal pool capacity? Do I need to be concerned with other levels - cya? All results were within in range prior to October 5. I’ve not bothered to test since then. Forecast for nights during the next week range from low of 35 to high of 45. Annually we’re winterized by now.

When my liner failed in the fall I ordered one knowing it would not be installed until the next spring. The company installing the liner said don't worry about keeping water in the pool over the winter. In the spring there was only some water in the deep end, none in the shallow. The liner sustained even more damage over the winter but it didn't matter because I knew it was being replaced. If you are replacing the liner in the spring you of course need to winterize the plumbing and everything on the equipment pad but I would not stress about the pool water chemicals or the level.
I had a lot of trouble with my light niche leaking after the new liner was installed. It was not the common problem of the conduit connection at the back of the niche, the plastic niche housing was cracked. I tried an epoxy seal but it still leaked. I removed the fixture and sealed the niche off.

Re-asking my question from below as to how to calculate amount of chlorine as you recommend we add. Thanks!

Depending on what you plan to do about your leaking light niche. I would say permanently or temporary fix the leak, add water and winterize as normal. May want to see if you can get someone to measure for the new liner before you close so it can be ready to install in the spring. Otherwise you will need to uncover the pool early so it can be measured, then either cover it again or deal with the mess that gets in it till the liner is replaced.

Reactions: kul
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.