PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi! We are currently building a pool. One of the many things we are trying to make a decision about is the sound system. We are contemplating between the Martin Logan vs Sonace 8.1 systems. Anyone have any experience with either of those? Any feedback is welcomed. Thank you.

Too rich for my blood! I use a pair of JBL EON 612s. Can't beat them for sound quality and volume. I got them on sale for around $250 each. Not waterproof, however.

It's not as high end but I'm really happy with some Sonos amps and upper end klipsch speakers. Their software works great and it sounds equally as good. The nice part is with multiple amps it's easy to make separate zones and link them on the fly during a party. I have 6 amps split between indoors and out that I use almost every day and have not had a single glitch.

+1 on Sonos. It’s pricey but it just works, and it’s easy to use. Even for my wife.

I just bought a Sonos Move to bring around to places where its difficult to run wire and it helps balance things out.

i would highly recommend sonos . everything works really well and sounds great. app is very easy to use for from child to a senior. i have 8 yr and an 75yr old using it without issues. one thing i would highly recommend is not to use 8.1 system with sonance amp. make sure you use the sonance system with sonos amp. i think the only way you can do that is either you buy the system without the amp and add sonos amp or buy the 6.1 from bestbuy. they are the only once that package it that way. that system is on sale for a great price. best buy link .

i am a pro installer and buy everything from distributors so i am able to get everything separate. i have 2 - 6.1 system in my own backyard. I have my pool area and sitting area separated out so my kids can hear whatever they want while they in pool and we can listen to what we want. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I got burned by Sonos in the past -- I don't like combining the speaker with the distribution/amplification. When technology moves on, you'll be left behind.
I just ran speaker cable and have JBL Patio speakers, a Klipsh rock speaker, and some low profile boat speakers on the wall by the pool. These are driven by an old home theater amp I got off facebook marketplace and an Alexa for yelling control. I keep the amp in a cabinet on the patio, but if it goes bad in the Texas heat I'm not out much money. Same with the "outdoor" TV -- find it cheap used and I could buy a dozen for the price of a proper "outdoor" tv.

I vote for the MartinLogan, or at least discrete speakers.

I am not pushing Sonos by any means. If I could find a good alternative that was as easy to use and had the same type of integration with all the streaming services I would take it. The ability to play across multiple zones and change that on the fly is unmatched.

Also to your point you can buy Sonos amps for wired speakers. I have 3 of those. They are supplemented with the occasional built in speaker. I even have the Sonos sound bar that I bought for the TV and it integrates and because part of the music system. Those amps are pricey though. I also wish they made a multi channel version.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You guys are all over the place. Sonos is more for source. Ip is talking speaker arrays. Does Sonos even sell an array?

Sonos is a great source for all in one distribution. They can only handle 4 speakers technically but can handle more in real word if runs aren’t very long.

Didn’t even know Martin logan had an array. I assume they oem it from someone else so I would would pass.

Sononce. Best Buy high end. I was never impressed by it. The russound version is cheaper and literally same thing again. A lot of these distributed audio companies are going by by due to covid and changes in the industry cause of what covid did to them.

Do you want an array? An array needs to be set up properly. It’s made to cover an open larger area.
Or do you want multiple speakers? If u have a large area with multiple sections u want multiple sets of speaker pairs with their own volume control.
How big is the area?
Source u are using for the array of u want that.

I have an array around my pool. 6 speakers 1 sun. It’s for only those swimming and around pool deck. If u on my porch off the pool or in my pool house off the pool u are under roof with 4 speakers. 2 pairs to fill area. 3 independent zones that can play 3 different songs or sources or whatever or the same song in all 3 areas but independent volume control for each so u don’t blow people away or can’t hear it.

I am not pushing Sonos by any means. If I could find a good alternative that was as easy to use and had the same type of integration with all the streaming services I would take it. The ability to play across multiple zones and change that on the fly is unmatched.

Also to your point you can buy Sonos amps for wired speakers. I have 3 of those. They are supplemented with the occasional built in speaker. I even have the Sonos sound bar that I bought for the TV and it integrates and because part of the music system. Those amps are pricey though. I also wish they made a multi channel version.
Sonos amps aren’t real exspensive when u consider your boutique brands like Nuvo (when they existed) and russound. Thier single zone units with built in amp and services were 600-700 per unit (zone).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.