Many small holes in liner?

In theory, the idea to use the water bags as large patches to run the length of the pool and catch any small holes was a good idea, I think. In practice... I just don't know yet. I made the patches about 6"x12" inches rounding off the corners, some scrap pieces from cutting a bit smaller. The larger patches are somewhat difficult to work with, and I don't think it helped applying that much glue to a patch in 90+ degree weather. We got a late start and only got about a quarter of the length of the pool done. It's a slower process than I thought it would be. I guess I can call it progress since the patches were not floating on the surface this morning :-D We seem to have slightly slowed the leak down, and plan on pathcing again today.

As for the holes, we seem to have a variety. Some are pinholes while others are little half moon slashes. Unfortunately we were not able to determine if there are any shoots poking through.

In complete frustration the other night I called the company that did the install and requested the owner to come and look at a separate issue with some of the wall boards. While he was here he looked at the liner issue and noticed that we had patched a place on the corner seam. He thinks he may be able to replace the liner under warranty, but could not start the job for at least two weeks. Until then I'm hoping to REALLY slow down or stop the leaks. I think I'm going to drop over when I get the next water bill :(

Usually with liners there is a declining value on the warranty. 100% covered the first year, 80% covered the second year 70% the third year 60% to 50% the fourth year that kind of thing. So if he is wanting to replace the liner, you may end up paying half of that replacement cost. I would check with him to find out what the waranty replacement costs are before letting him do anything. Still even if you pay half the price for the liner it is better than paying full price for it. :goodjob:

I'm still not sure what caused this mess, but we finally got the pool to hold water above the skimmer overnight :-D There is no more standing water on the outside of the pool, I don't know yet if we stopped the leaks completely or just really slowed them down.

I was cutting the water bag patches WAY too big making them really difficult to work with and slow to apply so I ditched the water bag idea and bought some blue vinyl rafts to cut and use for the patches. I cut them smaller, and although it meant we had to apply many more patches (I should have counted them, we might hold the record on number of patches in a pool), they went on much more quickly. They actually don't look that bad. Keeping fingers crossed that they hold, I plan on keeping a close eye on things.

Thanks for all the help! :cheers:

So far so good... patches are holding and we are not loosing nearly as much water! It has been very hot and sunny so it is difficult to determine leaks vs normal evaporation. I plan on doing a bucket test this week. We did find some more small holes on one of the 16' sides and are working our way patching along that side. I plan on winning this :-D battle and will patch the whole perimeter if I have to! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.