Managing CSI with TA, CH

altapoolguy

Gold Supporter
Aug 29, 2023
Altadena, CA
Hello braintrust,

I'm close to opening the pool for the season and my chemistry is nearly perfect except my CSI is lower than I'd like and maybe I need a reality check from someone more experienced.

FC - 4.5
pH - 7.7
TA - 60
CH - 275
CYA - 60
Salt - 3000
Borates - 48
Temp - 71°
CSI - (-.57)

My fill water is very hard and will likely push my CH up by 50 to 75 over the course of the swim season. I lowered my TA down to 70 from about 90. I think with rain water this year it got pushed down even lower.

CSI has been lower than the recommended -.6 for quite a bit of the winter. Even with warmer temps, I'm going to be closer to -.4. I'm worried about damaging my pool or my equipment.

My calculations told me that getting my TA up to about 70 will get me closer to where I need to be. I added 1lb of sodium bicarb today which should bring me up up 64ish and will retest soon but it got me thinking: maybe my CSI isn't that bad? Should I leave it alone and let it drift up a bit over the season? I think even with the additional Calcium from my fill water I'll be just under -.3 with the warmer temps.

Thoughts?

I doubt you'll notice anything. Tfp says CSI between plus 0.6 and - 0.6 is okay. You seem to have a very good understanding on how to get to where you need to be. Do your best to maintain CSI between -0.3 and 0.0.