Managing CSI in Cold Water

Uncle Flappy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Tucson, AZ
All,

Old Man Winter is in the desert southwest and my pool is a bone-chilling 49 degrees. The SWCG is off and I am using liquid chlorine. Here are my numbers:
FC: 8
CC: 0
pH: 7.7
TA: 70
CH: 375
CYA: 80
Salt: 3500
Borates: 50​

That brings my CSI to -0.59 and "Potential to become corrosive to plaster".

How do you all balance your water in lower temps?

Thanks!

- Flappy

Let your pH ride up to 8 and your TA will increase as you are still adding some fill water due to evaporation. That and the fact the water is so cold everything goes slower.

Good to keep an eye on it.

Take care.

This was going to be a new post for me as well as my water is 45 in Atlanta Georgia area. Is there any issues with letting the ph stay in the 8.0 range all winter?
Any reason to chase CSI with the other variables (CH or TA)
Thanks in advance
TJ

It is not good to let the pH rise to above 8.0. It is best to keep it in the 7's.

The OP is located in Arizona and has high CH and TA fill water. So it is best to not add calcium or baking soda as the fill water pushes those parameters up. And we have little rain and constant evaporation.

It is not good to let the pH rise to above 8.0. It is best to keep it in the 7's.

The OP is located in Arizona and has high CH and TA fill water. So it is best to not add calcium or baking soda as the fill water pushes those parameters up. And we have little rain and constant evaporation.
My well water is very different than the city stuff. It has a TA of 100 and CH of only 75. I added some baking soda to the pool and will check it tomorrow to ensure the water is better balanced.

Thanks again for your help.

- Flappy

My well water is very different than the city stuff. It has a TA of 100 and CH of only 75. I added some baking soda to the pool and will check it tomorrow to ensure the water is better balanced.

Thanks again for your help.

- Flappy

With that, then you need to maintain your chemistry differently than all of us that use Colorado River water.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.