Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
We are in need of a major renovation of our pool we acquired in 2019. I would like to get some opinions before we pull the trigger.

First, we‘ve had a number of people out to look at it. Because of the age of the pool (27 years old) and the condition of the deck (poorly maintained exposed aggregate that my wife and kids call the torture deck), no one really wants to take the job it seemed. Some wanted to resurface the deck, but because of the cracking, settling, and just general poor condition, most felt at least several of the pieces of slab had to be removed and repoured before doing anything on top of it. The last contractor I called out is willing to take on the job, fairly soon, but it is quite expensive, and I don’t know if it’s the project or just the times we are in right now, or we’ll, it’s just a super high quote. The quote includes complete removal of the existing concrete deck (roughly 1300sq ft), lay new pavers, new coping pavers. Remove plaster and resurface with Quartzscape or Stonescape pebble ($4000 upgrade) and new waterline tile.

They want $36k for the demo and deck paver install, plus $16k ($11 sq ft) for the pavers, for a total of $52k. The plaster is also in fairly rough shape from lack of care before we bought the house. I think his only maintenance was dropping a tab in the skimmer baskets every week. So it needs resurfaced. Resurfacing the pool (1270 sq ft) in Quartzscape Midnight blue is $14,850, or Stonescape Aqua or Tahoe blue is $16,800 or Tropic Blue for $18,900. Coping installed comes to $3,700 with the materials. The wife wanted a fairly upgraded tile that is quoted at $4500 for 100’ linear feet, and sailer‘s edge tile between the pavers and coping and around the border. When you add in some minor other costs (dumpster rental, etc) the total comes to roughly $75-$80k depending on the resurfacing choice. I know if it were 3 years ago these prices would be outlandish, but this isn’t 3 years ago. Materials have gone up, labor has gone up, I just don’t know what reasonable is these days. I don’t know anyone that has done a refurb of this scale to ask, but I know a neighbor/friends or two that have put in new pools that were easily north of $150-$250k. So by comparison, this seems inline with that to me, but what do I know? The contractor seems knowledgeable and pleasant to work with, and seemed to be very well known and respected at the NPT showroom, for whatever that’s worth.

I have some other questions, but let’s start there. What do you experts think of this? I’m greatly appreciative of any insight you all can provide.

Attached are some of the paver and tile choices we’ve made should we decide to move forward. The picture of the pool is from when we moved in 2019, settling and cracking has only gotten worse, but it’s the best picture I have right now.

Attachments

• C9FE02EB-54F9-4001-8CCB-83522786D26A.jpeg
    C9FE02EB-54F9-4001-8CCB-83522786D26A.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 68
  • E0532B3F-C076-47F6-95FD-12D6A05734B5.jpeg
    E0532B3F-C076-47F6-95FD-12D6A05734B5.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 7B5F5F15-0849-41EB-841C-8B430FEE830E.jpeg
    7B5F5F15-0849-41EB-841C-8B430FEE830E.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 5CA59AE4-6F5A-4C5B-91C6-FB6EB0ABDE3F.jpeg
    5CA59AE4-6F5A-4C5B-91C6-FB6EB0ABDE3F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 96
You are basically building a new pool with coping, tile, plaster and deck. You are reusing the hole in the ground, rebar, gunite, plumbing, and equipment. That savings is offset by the various demo costs to remove all your old stuff.

So net net your quotes are not surprising.

You can save some money if you are the GC and deal directly with subcontracters and manage the project. Otherwise you have the cost of the GC's time and profit on top if all the subcontractors.

That is the reality of pool building in 2023.

You are basically building a new pool with coping, tile, plaster and deck. You are reusing the hole in the ground, rebar, gunite, plumbing, and equipment. That savings is offset by the various demo costs to remove all your old stuff.

So net net your quotes are not surprising.

You can save some money if you are the GC and deal directly with subcontracters and manage the project. Otherwise you have the cost of the GC's time and profit on top if all the subcontractors.

That is the reality of pool building in 2023.
That was pretty much my rationale, when comparing the cost of a new pool to our project. We did consider doing the demo ourselves, and voiced that thought to the contractor. They dropped the cost of the labor by $3,000 and then said my own demo would only drop the price $1500 more. At that point it isn’t worth my time or savings to do it myself. We did talk with a sub at one point, but could never get him to come again or barely answer our calls. It’s like dealing with a sub for any construction project, they aren’t too interested in doing your job because you are a one time customer, a GC gives them constant work. That, along with the expediency in which they will start for the GC vs me directly has value that I can put into the project, and to my kids if they don’t miss any of the pool season this year.

Thanks for your input!

I don't know of anything you could have done to have a beautiful looking pool and deck at 27 years. Heck, even if the pool was refinished 10 years earlier, it'd likely be time again. So it all had a great life and it's time to pay the piper with no easy face-lift.

One thing I'll add is to strongly consider replacing all the plumbing with the deck being removed. You won't want to revist that for the next 27 years and it won't add much to the project either in parts or labor to address now.

I don't know of anything you could have done to have a beautiful looking pool and deck at 27 years. Heck, even if the pool was refinished 10 years earlier, it'd likely be time again. So it all had a great life and it's time to pay the piper with no easy face-lift.

One thing I'll add is to strongly consider replacing all the plumbing with the deck being removed. You won't want to revist that for the next 27 years and it won't add much to the project either in parts or labor to address now.
If he’s putting pavers down doesn’t that kind make it “easier” to fix later if needed? I was having a hard time writing a $12k check for mine but he’s got a $75k check to write already. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Newdude
If he’s putting pavers down doesn’t that kind make it “easier” to fix later if needed?
It makes it easier to match afterwards, but will still be spendy in labor. Nobody wants to revist the project a couple years later. (y)

Well, after some unexpected delays our project is finally complete. Other than the high price, we are very happy with the transformation, and I guess at the end of the day as long as it brings us joy it’s worth the costs.

Here’s a time lapse from our Ring camera of the deck removal and paver install.

IMG_0428.jpegIMG_0429.jpegIMG_0435.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your project turned out great! Also a great setting with a fantastic water view. Once the sting of the expense wears off you will be glad you did it.

Question for any pool gurus. This is our first time replastering our pool, how delicate is the plaster (StoneScape Mini pebble) in the early stages and then long term? We have a large dog (150ish lbs Mastiff) who loves the pool. The plaster was applied July 1st, we kept him out of the pool completely for the first month. Now we’ve been having him wear boots to protect the plaster. Is this something we should plan to do long term, or does it ever reach a level of hardness that we wouldn’t need to be concerned about damage to the plaster/pebble surface?

Thanks!

The plaster surface is fully hardened within a day.

You can let your dog roam free in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on the roughness - we have mini pebble - and in general it is pretty smooth, but in some of the wall radii - there are sharp spots - perhaps where the pebble wasn't worked enough - or the acid wash was more aggressive. I have gotten slices on the bottom of my big toes from it. So watch the paws carefully for any abrasion. If found, go back to doggo boots.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.