Major pool Chemistry problem

Come on up and enjoy!
Free Beer is never a question when your here. Or any other adult beverage.
Butterfly said:
Yes, you can just let your FC drift down to maintenance level. Re-test and adjust up to the target level each evening. What is the CYA level?
As far as the Bratwurst, thats not on the wifes menu.
How about Hot Sausage, hot dogs and hamburgers on Sunday?
My thanks for all of the help :cool:

As for the CYA it is about 40-45ppm, so I am figuring a FC range of 4-6 so i will plan 5ppm to be safe.
I just found a chemical supplier that i can get boric acid in bulk, not sure of price, i will add that in a couple of weeks.
Also they have liquid CL 12.5% in 15 gallon drums for around $25.
I am planning to have a good supply for summer.
Thanks again.

FC 17
CC 0.25( slight pink used half a drop)(This still bugs me a little how it cant be 0, but i may have had some frogs swimming last night)
Readings at 6:15 am
FC 17
CC 0.25 same color used half a drop
Pool is crystal clear!!!

Oh yeah, this is good. You deserve to pat yourself on the back. You've done some good work there.

As for CC, it is extremely common to read 0.5 or so. With proper FC levels, the CC's will tend to burn off in the sun, so just be aware that if the pool is covered during the day, CC level could go up a bit. If it does, just give it some sun time and watch the FC.

Once the FC drops back to normal, re-check the pH to ensure it is between 7.2 and 7.8. If it is out of that range, adjust it back in.

My 2 cents:
You're at the point now where you should just settle back and watch the FC and pH for a while. Vacuum and brush, clean the skimmers, check the filter, and ,in general, maintain everything. Just don't really try to do anything else, chemical-wise, until you have gotten a good feel for your pool's pulse; all pools are a little different. You'll start to learn how yours "feels", and you can decide if there is some other condition you need to adjust, such as fast-rising pH levels, or whatever, and we can help you tune that later.

And congratulations again! Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Thanks again for all the help and knowledge!
I wont know what to do without going to Sam's club and buying bleach. I think they turned me in to some sort of wachlist for how much I bought. Hopefully I won't have to do that again next year.
I will be sure to reach out at that time. It rained today so no pics yet. I will get one one her as soon as it cleara up outside.

Johnny-M said:
Thanks again for all the help and knowledge!
I wont know what to do without going to Sam's club and buying bleach. I think they turned me in to some sort of wachlist for how much I bought. Hopefully I won't have to do that again next year.
I will be sure to reach out at that time. It rained today so no pics yet. I will get one one her as soon as it cleara up outside.

LOL Wait until you go to Wal-Mart and buy 25 boxes of 20 mule team borax. I thought they were going to call Home Land Security on me.

One quick follow up question.
If my target FC range is 4-6ppm, Do i use that target as the low. Meaning I add CL to 8-10ppm in the evening and allow it to drop to 4-6ppm during the day? Or is 4-6 the high mark and allow CL to drop to 2-4ppm? For my size pool I looked at the pool calc. and that should be around a gallon of 6%CL per day or 1/2 gallon of 12%.
PS I think I wasted the 15gallons of 12.5% I got on Friday. I bought a hand pump to get the CL out of the jug, and I looked last night to add more and noticed that the CL was very dark in color. I pulled the pump out and noticed the CL had some reaction to the metal pump and it was all corroded. I dont think I want to put it in the pool, Even after I filtered it through a t-shirt 4 times I didnt feel comfortable. Well live and learn. Any thoughts on any of these questions is welcome.
John

Assuming CYA is around 50, you should maintain FC between 4 and 8, and never below 4.

In the evenings you could bump up to 7 or 8 and see where you are the next evening. Retest and add back up to 7 or 8. Some pools use more and some use less. You will figure out how much your pool needs by testing each evening and replenishing the chlorine.

That is what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. I am assuming a normal day will burn thought 2-3 ppm of FC. without the cover on. Not sure what to expect when I put the cover on throughout the day. Trial and error and some more tests should guide me.
Thanks

Is it uncommon to lose 5.5 ppm of FC in 12 hours?
I tested at 6:30am and had 10.5 FC
Tested at 6:30 pm after all day sun, no swimmers and a little rain shower and it is reading 5.0 ppm of FC. I dosed back up to 8ppm and will retest tomorrow morning. But that seems allot to lose with no swiimers. :?:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can, I figured at 6:30 the Fc was 5ppm. I dosed as per pool calculator which is usually spot on, 1.5 gallons of 6% bleach which would add 3ppm totalling 8ppm. I was just going to assume that was acheived then check tomorrow morning.

Johnny-M said:
I can, I figured at 6:30 the Fc was 5ppm. I dosed as per pool calculator which is usually spot on, 1.5 gallons of 6% bleach which would add 3ppm totalling 8ppm. I was just going to assume that was acheived then check tomorrow morning.
When doing a OCLT, it is best to test, since the difference you are looking for is so small and the potential error sources are fairly big.

I already passed my OCLTtest on Friday, I am trying to figure out my maintenace dose. My range needs to be from 4-6 with a 45ppm CYA level. My FC was coming down from 18ppm on Saturday when I passed the OCLT. Heavy bather load on Sat and heavy rain Sunday and my paranoia I added more Fc to keep it at 10-12 for most of Monday then let it drop to 10.5 this morning and started monitoring FC drop for a day. It was around 90 degrees for most of the afternoon. Thunderstorm and heavy winds blew in 3/8 inches of rain and alot of debris. I have full sun on pool from 8:30am till 7:30 pm. So I am wondering if that big of a FC drop is out of the queswtion or should i be worried abouyt something else. Pool hasnt been below 12 ppm FC for two weeks, this is my first time in a normal FC range.

Thank you, I did recheck an hour after dosing and it was arond 8.5. So I will check tomorrow PM. I did put the cover on to see if that helps with FC loss. My pool is wide 22 foot by 48 foot at the long end and exposed to all day sun. I would assume the more surface area the more area to lose FC, but that is a guess. I have had no CC in the tests that I have run since Friday.

As promised here is a pic of the pool, Thanks ti everyone for your help. Now I need to figure out the maintenance part of this and keep it this way! Well I am trying to add the file from my phone not sure if it attached or not? Sorry id it didn't
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.