maintaining a Target FC above that recommended level?

chuzie

May 14, 2014
Tampa
I have a question about maintaining a Target FC level above that recommended per the CYA chart. Is this pointless and futile? Restated, am I wasting chlorine because there is not enough CYA to support and protect the excess?

I like to have a buffer from my Min and Target FC levels. Currently my CYA=40 which dictates Min=3 Target=5. I am considering maintaining my FC at 6 or even 7 but don't want to throw $$$ (chlorine) down the drain.

Educate me plz. :)

Chlorine/CYA Chart

I don't think it's pointless to target above the chlorine/CYA chart. Your correct that a certain CYA level only buffers and protects a certain FC level. But a couple of ppm's above what the chart says, I think works fine.

My CYA level is 40 and I target 7 for my FC. That gives more wiggle room for FC loss so you don't fall below your min of 3. Makes sense to me. If you look at pool math it suggest's the same. ?

The higher you go above the recommended FC level for a given CYA, the more you will lose to the sun.

Using the above example, If the target is 6ppm and the minimum is 4ppm....
By going up to 9ppm, they are losing 3ppm per day.
But, if they only raised it to 7ppm, they may only lose 2.5ppm each day and still be above the minimum.
That would lower your bleach cost by 17% just by targeting a lower FC level.

The key is staying above the minimum ... how much cushion you want is up to you and based on experimentation.

I have a question about maintaining a Target FC level above that recommended per the CYA chart. Is this pointless and futile? Restated, am I wasting chlorine because there is not enough CYA to support and protect the excess?

I like to have a buffer from my Min and Target FC levels. Currently my CYA=40 which dictates Min=3 Target=5. I am considering maintaining my FC at 6 or even 7 but don't want to throw $$$ (chlorine) down the drain.

Educate me plz. :)
Targeting 6 or 7 so that you don't dip below the 3 minimum is a good idea. Trying to maintain a minimum of 6 or 7 will be a waste of money, in my opinion. Chlorine lost to the sun is a percentage, not a fixed amount. So if you raise FC higher than you need to, you'll lose more than you need to just sitting in the sun unused.

Target 6 or 6.5 or whatever it takes so that you don't dip below the minimum (plus some margin of safety) before you can test and replenish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.