main drain worth keeping

kmax1980

Jul 3, 2023
Newmarket, Ontario
I have a 30 year old 33x16 pool im considering a major renovation on. Currently it has 2 home run drains, the skimmer and the main drain in the floor of the deep-end.

A couple of the companies I have spoken to have recommended to abandon the main drain in the remodeling and to replace it with a couple of side suction lines. Is this common practice nowadays? The reasons they cited were that 1) safety of not being able to isolate 100% suction to the main drain and 2) the potential for difficult leaks around the main drain.

Curious to your thoughts on this.

A main drain is like the intestinal appendix: it doesn't really do anything, has the potential to cause severe problems, and you can live just fine without it. My pool was built without a main drain and I'm very happy with that decision. Zero entrapment risk, zero plumbing leak risk, and maximum skimmer suction.

Main drains don't do much for the average pool. I would definitely suggest two skimmers. Main drain is optional and up to you.

Reactions: kmax1980
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.