Main Drain Port Leaking

Jun 6, 2013
South Florida
Had a leak check today because we are losing a lot of water. Found the port inside the main drain is leaking. The previous home owner had the pool refinished and it looks like they did filled the port with epoxy or something. I think these typically just have a threaded plug or something of the sorts.

Anyways, the company wants to cut out and completely replace the main drain assembly. I am wondering if anyone has any other brilliant ideas that may save me a significant amount of money.

Attachments

• Main Drain Port.jpeg
    Main Drain Port.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 32
I can’t tell exactly what you have from the pict posted. Wider views would be helpful.

It sounds like you have a leaking hydrostatic relief valve. That valve is to relieve water pressure on the bottom of the pool and prevent it from popping out of the ground when empty.

Last edited:
ajw, my pool does not have a hydrostatic valve. The port that the hydrostatic valve would screw into is my problem. That port would typically either have a screw in plug, or a hydrostatic valve. Mine has been epoxied closed, which is what you see being tested with dye in the photo.

The pool is 41 years old, so who knows when someone did this. I would entertain draining my pool and working on this dry, but we have had a lot of rain the past week. I have never drained the pool completely and would be wary of any water table issues.

Your plug looks like the general size and shape of a hydrostatic valve. There would be no reason to put a plug there for other reasons. It sounds like prior owners tried to patch leaks in the valve with epoxy. Does the plug not screw off?

If your main drain is leaking and you cannot replace the plug/valve then you probably have to replace the entire drain.

Yes it's leaking at the epoxy blob. You can see the dye being drawn through in my original photo. I suppose I can try to unscrew it, but I doubt it will budge. Most likely there was a crack or something that a previous person tried to seal with epoxy. It lasted a long time because I have owned the house for 8 years now without a big issue. Now it's leaking down 6-8" per day.

I want to work on it dry. Anyone familiar with draining a pool in south Florida? My only fear is water table issues.

Get some underwater epoxy amd make a plastic plate slightly bigger than the plug diameter. File the current plug edge so its clean and rough, same with the plastic cap. Epoxy the cap onto the blob and adhere over the outside edge of the plug body, it will be much stronger than just epoxy in a hole. They have epoxies specifically for plastics

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jimmy, thank you. That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking to do. But I don't think I can do this with the pool filled. I would be totally capable of doing this, but I have never drained a pool completely and don't know if there is any risk to doing so.

You have to be sure of groundwater conditions when attempting to drain. The other way is to just use underwater epoxy and make a snorkel extension. With a mask on even a section of hose above water line will give you the air time needed to do a nice job

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.