Lowering water level affecting prime?

thecabana

Jul 24, 2022
Austin, TX
Hello! We have lived at our home with our pool for a little over a year. I have successfully backwashed our filter a few times without issue. Today we had to drain water for the first time (multi-port set to "waste", using a backwash hose) due to a significant amount of rainfall nearly overflowing our pool, right before we leave for a trip with more rain to come. So we wanted to lower it a couple inches prior to leaving. We ran it a couple minutes on 1500rpm to lower the water, I went to increase the pump speed to 2755rpm to move along the process a bit, and the hose ended up slipping off with the increase in pressure, so we stopped the pump. (Not sure if that's relevant, but just in case it is.) It started to storm again so we ended up stopping there, and I set the pump back to filter. Upon turning the pump back on, I realized the pump had lost prime. It seemed able to recover relatively quickly, and after running it for a few seconds and letting some air out of the filter, the pump basket had no air bubbles, and bubbles stopped coming out of the returns shortly after.

All of that to say - is that normal? Does it indicate user error (aka I missed a step or did something wrong!) or any plumbing issues?

Sounds like when your backwash hose slipped off and you shut off the system, it allowed some air into the plumbing so the pump pot went dry for a bit. Not quite sure if it had something to do with the time between shutting off the pump and changing the MPV settings, but with everything working properly it sounds like you should be okay. I wouldn't worry about it unless the pump looses prime again for some reason.

PS - Please send that rain down here to S.A. We need it.

Reactions: thecabana
Sounds like when your backwash hose slipped off and you shut off the system, it allowed some air into the plumbing so the pump pot went dry for a bit. Not quite sure if it had something to do with the time between shutting off the pump and changing the MPV settings, but with everything working properly it sounds like you should be okay. I wouldn't worry about it unless the pump looses prime again for some reason.

PS - Please send that rain down here to S.A. We need it.
That makes sense! It seems all good now, so I'll keep an eye on it!

Oof I hope y'all get some rain soon. We're in Austin and were getting desperate!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.