Lowering TA

DRF2

May 23, 2023
Magnolia, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I'm having a similar problem. I replaced all the water, and my TA was 300. I've used Pool Math's recommendations a couple of times, and I got the TA down to 190, and the pH is still at 8.2 (it hasn't budged). I am assuming I just need to keep adding acid day by day until I get the TA to a good range, and then worry about the pH?

thanks ahead of time :)

How soon after adding acid are you testing pH? It should go down at first but rise up quickly while TA is that high. Keep going.

I also had a look into your logs. FC is a bigger concern right now than TA. You should aim for higher FC when adding chlorine. You should never fall below minimum FC for your CYA.

Follow the recommended FC/CYA Levels.

I'm having a similar problem. I replaced all the water, and my TA was 300. I've used Pool Math's recommendations a couple of times, and I got the TA down to 190, and the pH is still at 8.2 (it hasn't budged). I am assuming I just need to keep adding acid day by day until I get the TA to a good range, and then worry about the pH?

thanks ahead of time :)
You should not allow the pH to go below 7.0. If your pH is at 8.2, then keep adding acid until the pH gets down to 7.2. As you keep doing that the TA will come down on its own. The TA is not as important as the pH.

Your fc is definitely too low in your pool but
I think you’re referring to your spa ta correct? Your ph is just higher than readable - test 10 minutes after acid additions & add again if needed.

Your ph is fine in your pool & ta is a little high but you keep adding soda ash?

I am referring to my spa. I keep adding acid to the spa trying to get the TA down. I'll be testing again today.

I haven't touched the soda ash for the spa? Pool Math has been telling me to add Acid to the pool (with our spotty rain lately, I have not done that yet).
The FC in my pool has been a yo-yo cycle right now. It doesn't stay as stable as I would like but it hasn't been hard to get it back in line with Pool Math.
I have stabilized FC tablets for the spa, but when I first started testing with the kit, my FC was really high, so that seemed like a good time to replace all the water.

Thank you again,
David F.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.