Lowering TA...

mikesig83

Jun 21, 2012
DFW, TX
Hi - I just had a Hayward T940 Aqua Rite Salt System with 40K Gallon T940 Extended Life Cell installed last week. Trying to lower my TA to recommended range as mine current reading was around 100-110. I added the recommended amount of MA and got the pH from 7.8 down to 7.2. The TA is still reading around 100. Do I need to wait until tomorrow to test TA again (I waited about 2 hours after adding MA) or was that enough time between readings?

Also, I have my SWG turned on and I am curious if that is enough to aerate the water to bring pH back up? My numbers from this morning and afternoon are below. Thanks!

DateFCpHTACHSaltCYA
27-Apr​
9​
7.8​
100​
440​
3000​
60​
27-Apr​
9​
7.2​
100​
440​
3000​
60​

Also, I have my SWG turned on and I am curious if that is enough to aerate the water to bring pH back up?
SWCG does very little to aerate the pool water.

You need to run water features, point the returns up to break the pool surface, etc to aerate.
Once you add the acid, the TA falls. You then need to raise the ph with aeration so you can add more acid.

Reactions: mikesig83
Day 2 of trying to lower my TA. Down to 90 from 100. I've probably added over 70 ounces of acid since I started. Finally saw it move down to 90 this AM. Hoping it turns lower soon. Been running the waterfall feature to aerate back up 7.5/7.6 then knocking it right back down. Is getting TA to the 60-80 range due to the fact that SWG pools tend to have the pH drift up over time due to the SWG?

Unless you have elevated CH, there is no reason to push the TA lower. It will come down as you manage pH. It is all about CSI. Keep it between 0 and -0.3 and you will not get scale in your SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.