DMS213

Jun 4, 2023
Syracuse, Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, so my problem is i have 2 return lines in my inground pool. Only one of them is flowing. The other barely flows if at all. If i cover my hand over the one that is flowing then the other return line flows. If i let off then it stops again and the one that originally was flowing flows again. I changed the sand that didnt help. I replaced the 8 way diverter valve on top of sand filter. I dont see any leaks. This low flow only happens when i put the sand filter into either recirculate or filter mode. When i do this the pump pot is only half and low flow out of only one return line. The big mystery is that when i put sand filter into backwash or waste the pump pot fills fully and the water flows strong. So i think that ruled out impellar but i dont know. So i know theres not any clogs in the suction side because of strong flow in either backwash or waste mode with diverter set to full, main drain or skimmer. Could there be a clog in the return line? Would to much sand cause this? Im at a loss at this point.

Welcome to TFP!

Can you fill us in on the models or sizes of your pump and filter? That could help.

The key piece of information though is your pressure gauge reading. That alone will greatly narrow down the source of the problem.

I am no expert like some here but what is your pump pressure? I will frequently have that issue in the beginning of the season however I do have a DE filter. My solution is to backwash well then I eventually pull my filter apart and do a cleaning of the grids. Hope you get this resolved soon!

I am no expert like some here but what is your pump pressure? I will frequently have that issue in the beginning of the season however I do have a DE filter. My solution is to backwash well then I eventually pull my filter apart and do a cleaning of the grids. Hope you get this resolved soon!
Pump pressure runs around 25 psi at pump rpm 3000. When i max rpm my variable speed pump it runs around 30 psi at 3450 rpm. I have a pentair superflo variable speed pump with a pentair meteor sand filter.

Welcome to TFP!

Can you fill us in on the models or sizes of your pump and filter? That could help.

The key piece of information though is your pressure gauge reading. That alone will greatly narrow down the source of the problem.
Pentair superflo variable speed pump. Running currently at 3000 rpm the filter pressure is 22psi. The sand filter is Pentair Meteor.

DMS..

Most likely it is just that your filter is dirty.

The return that has flow is just closer to the equipment pad and that is why it gets all the flow until you cover it up.

You can change eyeballs sizes to compensate for the flow between the two, if you want, but your current issue is just a dirty filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

DMS..

Most likely it is just that your filter is dirty.

The return that has flow is just closer to the equipment pad and that is why it gets all the flow until you cover it up.

You can change eyeballs sizes to compensate for the flow between the two, if you want, but your current issue is just a dirty filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Why would my filter be so dirty with new sand? I have been backwashing my filter. 2-3 min. At a time. i was having this issue even right after changing the sand as i originally thought the sand was the issue. I suppose i can continuously backwash it. Just takes awhile to get pool levels back up to backwash again. Idk just frustrated at this point. Thank you for your response.

DMS,

Does your filter have a by-pass or recirculate option??

If so, put the filter in the by-pass mode and see what happens to your flow.

Thanks

Jim R.
When i put it in recirculate. I get the same results. It seems to me any water going through the reurn lines wether filter or recirculate has low flow. Everything other such as backwash and waste it flows into pot strong and steady as it should. I see the return line that has flow is blowing out a bit cloudy. When i put it to filter and open the air valve the pot fills up and water starts flowing steady into the pot. I close the air valve and it becomes a bit stagnant again in the pot. Its like back pressure or something isnt allowing the water to flow out freely.

DMS,

Who changed the sand in the filter?

I ask only for a reference, as I do not know anything about sand filters.. :(

In theory, by-passing the filter should cause an increase in the water flow, if the filter was just dirty.

Did the MPV get changed or is it the same one?

Please show us a pic of the filter and valve..

I'm going to see if I can find a sand filter expert to chime in.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also after i set it to filter and open air valve water flows in strong. Then i close air valve and wTer surges in a few times then eventually just slowly flows in. Its like the water has nowhere to go because when i open air valve water continuouslty rushes in and shoots out the air valve. Which led me to believe an obstruction in the return line although i wouldnt think that would stop the pump and filter from pushing the water out steadily. There have been moments Water flowed out the long return line just not super strong but strong enough to feel it. Most times nothing. Would it be my impellar? I wouldnt of thought so as i dont have any flow issue in backwash or waste mode or when its set to filter with air valve open where the water can flow out of it. Only when air valve closed and water returns to pool wether by filter or recirculate.

I changed the sand as i have before. I just put a new mpv on the sand filter as i heard a bit of air coming from it thinking that was the problem.

Attachments

• 20230604_151031.jpg
    20230604_151031.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230604_151034.jpg
    20230604_151034.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230604_151114.jpg
    20230604_151114.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230604_151102.jpg
    20230604_151102.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230604_151037.jpg
    20230604_151037.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 6
It looks like only the top part was replaced; maybe it is on backwards.

272528-img1_2__43337.1679673575.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like only the top part was replaced; maybe it is on backwards.
Yes only top part was replaced. I was having this issue before i replaced it thinking this couldve been it. I replaced it exactly as the old one sat on there. I dont know how you could put it on backwards as all other functions such as backwash and waste work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.