Low voltage shock

bmthepainter

Jul 7, 2023
Angus Ontario Canada
Hello. I hope I can. get some informed answers here.
Hello I have the following:
18 Foot All resin and fibreglass above ground pool
Hayward 1HP pump SP5710 (can not see a bonding lug)
Hayward salt & swim generator
Raypak model 106 Atmospheric above ground pool heater.

My pool is not bonded. (It was installed by Pioneer pools in my town. They told me it wasn't necessary to bond it.

Anyways what is happening is when I touch the ground and the pool water I get a low voltage shock. It seems to be were cuts are on my hand.
I had an electrician check it and they couldn’t find the cause of the stray voltage. It reads 4.6volts on my multimeter.

Today I had the electrical company check it and while they felt the shock themselves, they couldn’t help.

To diagnose it they unplugged my meter rendering my whole house powerless and the shock still happens.
Any ideas about this?
Also would bonding the pool get rid of this Stray low voltage.

When I am on my deck I do not feel the shock. Seems only when touching cement or dirt on ground.

Thanks in advance.
Brian M

My pool is not bonded. (It was installed by Pioneer pools in my town. They told me it wasn't necessary to bond it.

I am sure others will chime in that are more familiar with bonding however, this is extremely concerning, scary, and against any and all electrical codes.

Last edited:
Hello. I hope I can. get some informed answers here.
Hello I have the following:
18 Foot All resin and fibreglass above ground pool
Hayward 1HP pump SP5710 (can not see a bonding lug)
Hayward salt & swim generator
Raypak model 106 Atmospheric above ground pool heater.

Anyways what is happening is when I touch the ground and the pool water I get a low voltage shock. It seems to be were cuts are on my hand.
I had an electrician check it and they couldn’t find the cause of the stray voltage. It reads 4.6volts on my multimeter.

Today I had the electrical company check it and while they felt the shock themselves, they couldn’t help.

To diagnose it they unplugged my meter rendering my whole house powerless and the shock still happens.
Any ideas about this?
Also would bonding the pool get rid of this Stray low voltage.

When I am on my deck I do not feel the shock. Seems only when touching cement or dirt on ground.

Thanks in advance.
Brian M
Bonding is not necessarily caused by leaking electrical current from the power grid. There are also natural voltage variations in the ground and that’s what bonding is designed to handle.

4 volts seems like a lot to be natural but I’m not an expert on it. Are there other utilities in the area that might have lines underground in the vicinity? I’d say bonding the pool would be a good thing in this case but someone else would need to comment on how to do it, maybe only can do a water bond. In fact, given that you can repeat the issue, it might be a good experiment to try since you could see the result immediately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.