Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from HERE

I will be installing low voltage landscape lighting in my backyard this weekend. I am planning to power the transformer through my Intellicenter Panel. Is it possible to wire these in such that I can control them as a "Schedule" and to turn them on/off? Is it really as mounting the transformer, running a conduit from the transformer to a knockout on the bottom of the panel, then connecting the wires to an unused Power Relay?

Hey I realize this is an old post, but wondering how this project turned out? I have wanted to add low voltage led Volt brand lighting behind our pool for awhile. Thinking this might be the year for it. We have the Pentair Easy Touch Panel.
Anything you would do differently?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I realize this is an old post, but wondering how this project turned out? I have wanted to add low voltage led Volt brand lighting behind our pool for awhile. Thinking this might be the year for it. We have the Pentair Easy Touch Panel.
Anything you would do differently?

Let’s give you your own thread and have @Dirk tell you about the Volt lights.

Got a busy day today, but I can offer you some thoughts in a day or two. I removed all lighting control from my EasyTouch and moved it to my home automation system instead. So that's a possibility, too. I can give you some good guidance about installing VOLT. More later...

Got a busy day today, but I can offer you some thoughts in a day or two. I removed all lighting control from my EasyTouch and moved it to my home automation system instead. So that's a possibility, too. I can give you some good guidance about installing VOLT. More later...

Looking at a volt starter kit. Any advice before I pull the trigger?

Looking at a volt starter kit. Any advice before I pull the trigger?
I am reeeeheheally into lighting, and I keep adding more and more. I regret the purchase of the 75W transformer that came with the starter kit I bought. I wish I had gotten a bigger one, because I'm maxed out. I forget the exact instructions, but they want you to leave some headroom, 20% or so. So you can only use 80ish% of the transformer's wattage. Go big.

VOLT sells excellent wire and their wire nuts are great.

You don't need any extenders. I got their stakes, and then use grey conduit spray-painted bronze to elevate the lights where I want to.

If you know how, I recommend you solder all connections. Total pain. Totally worth it. 90% of garden lighting problems are in the connections that lay on the ground, eventually getting buried, then corroded. If you solder those connections, and then use VOLT's water proof wire nuts over that, they'll be the last thing to fail. Even if water gets in (which it will eventually), and the wires start corroding, the solder joint will be impervious and never reduce voltage.

Leave large loops of wire at every fixture. Just coil it up and bury it under mulch near the light. As your garden grows, or changes, you may want to move some lights this way or that. Leave yourself some wiggle room.

I like the walkway lights. And I love the up lights, under my trees. I even got a nice light over my BBQ that I wired to a switch, and then to the garden circuit. Normally off, but boy does that light up the grill when I need it.

You can't go wrong with the starter kit. See if they'll upgrade the transformer to the next size for just a little more.

That's the shortish version... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 737mech
I've been looking at the VOLT stuff. Looks great! I read on a FB group that they're the premier lighting company.

They use the WAGO wire clips. I buy these on Amazon and use them when working on new electrical at the home. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone.

I can't wait to play with landscape lighting... but that'll be down the road.

I agree, go big on the trans, you'll want that headroom. Also, great advice on the wire loops. leave extra, you can always cut back or hide.

Reactions: Dirk
Thanks Dirk!

I ordered by lights today. This will be a fun project that's been on my list for awhile.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ordered them from Costco as well. They should be here on Saturday. I expect it will take me awhile to get the time to complete this project. I'm considering adding some lighting to the front of our house too.

I also bought an expansion pathway light kit (from Costco) to add to the kit since it only had 3 pathway lights. So I'll have 7 pathway and 6 spots to work with. That seems way more than what I needed in our backyard, but I can use the remainder in the front of our house.

⚡⚡⚡ Ah, my low-VOLT-age brothers! ⚡⚡⚡

Did anyone compare the prices on the VOLT website with what you're paying at Costco? Was it cheaper? Or just more convenient?
I'm considering adding some lighting to the front of our house too.
I really want to light my front yard, too. But my lot is really wide, so it'd take about a grand of VOLTs to do it right. I'm afraid someone will walk off with them. I live in a nice neighborhood (whatever that means), but the only thing I've put out front that isn't bolted down or growing are two $20 plastic Adirondack chairs and my garbage cans! 🚔

It's hard to compare apples to apples, but looks like the equivalent to the Costco starter kit on the volt website is $600. The Costco starter kit is 499 with $100 off ending today.

Everything arrived in great shape via UPS. Very impressed with the way Volt packaged these sets. The starter set box is HEAVY!
These lights look like they're built to last.

Everything arrived in great shape via UPS. Very impressed with the way Volt packaged these sets. The starter set box is HEAVY!
These lights look like they're built to last.

Yes extremely heavy! Got mine Friday and was surprised when I went to pick it up off the doorstep. Love the quality and the size. Nothing compares that I've seen thats available to the diy'er for direct purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.