Low suction at the skimmers

Sounds like Proavia nailed it, so the pipes in the new picture should be the pool suction, try turning on the pump and rotate that valve clock wise 1/8 of a turn so the handle is pointing slightly to the left. If you were to turn it counter clockwise 90 degrees so the handle was pointing at the pipe on the right that would cut the water supply off to the pump completely assuming the powered valve is as seen in the previous pictures (don't do that). After the 1/8 turn see if you have suction in the skimmer. If it is connected the way it seems and you were to go all the way clockwise that would shut off the main drain and you would be getting all suction from the skimmer.

As for the SWG being non functional do you mean that you were told not to use it because you have stone around the pool? Many would disagree with that stance or at least say given a little care you can use it. The effects are different Depending on the type of stone soft vs hard and if you are willing to seal it every year or two the chances of damage can be significantly reduced. Not that it is impossible to damage it but with a little care like spraying down the deck if you get a lot of splash out stone can get along with a salt pool just fine.

I've moved the valve as you suggested, hopefully the skimmer baskets will be full in the morning!
As far as the SWG goes, I was told that by "the pool guy' who opened this pool last year for the previous owners. I was certainly disappointed the SWG had been "abandoned" as what I had read concerning salt water pools as a "softer" water, appealed to me.

Just to verify - does your pool have 2 skimmers?

If so, maybe two options.......

1 - One pipe for skimmers and other for bottom drain
2 - One pipe to each skimmer (bottom drain plumbed thru one skimmer)

If pool has only one skimmer (the one with a weir door in the water) - one pipe for skimmer and the other for the bottom drain.

In either case, with pump running - slowly turn the handle in the last pic so OFF is toward one pipe or the other. Check skimmer(s) for water flow. Turn off other pipe and check again. The position of the valve handle in the pic is allowing suction from both pipes equally (however, water may be pulling unequally do to resistance from water entry point). Do NOT turn it so OFF is to the left.

The spa blower is the large, cylindrical object on the tall pipe to the right of the filter - and is not connected to the suction side.

As for the SWCG and your stone coping/decking - yes, the salt may etch the stone. But you could use a stone sealer (would need to be reapplied every couple years possibly). There are some here who have non-sealed stone who use SWCG though....... maybe they will chime in.

My pool doesn't have any automation. But there are may members here who do - and I'm sure they can help you understand your system better and even program it. A pic of the inside of your control box would be a good start in that direction.

Oh, so it's easier to remember, you may wish to label each pipe. A permanent marker will work (but will fade with time) -a label gun works good (if you use a waterproof, UV resistant label). And maybe a few arrows showing water flow direction too.

EDIT - seems I type too slow....LOL

that last photo, looks like your bonding wire is wrapped around the blower pipe connected to nothing.

Does it come out of the ground?

If so, it might be a good idea to attach that to the bonding lug on your pump motor....if it is indeed the bond wire.

I have 2 skimmers, I'm definitely going to look deeper into the SWG, and mark the pipes. As far as the automation goes, I'll go through the menu on the control panel inside the house to see exactly what's be scheduled . From what I've seen it's just filter and clean running now.
Thanks for help!

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, didn't notice that. I'll take care of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.