Low pressure when using a skimmer with dual intake pool and upgraded pump (all Intex)

alekdavis

May 26, 2023
Sacramento, CA
I'm trying to figure out how to use the Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer (model #28000E) with Ultra XTR Pool (18ft x 9ft x 52in, model #26355EH) and Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump (16in, model 26679EG).

Without the skimmer, everything functions normally, but once I install the skimmer and cover one intake valve with the flow reduction plug (it's not in the instructions, but the plug came with the skimmer and I figured it's what you're supposed to do), the pump pressure drops below normal (under the green zone in the pressure gauge) and I get a lot of bubbles in the leaf collection basket. If I remove the plug, the pressure goes back to normal, the bubbles disappear, but the skimmer does not suck much.

I read some posts on the topic and it seems like the recommendation is to use the flow reduction plug or plug one intake valve completely. I tried doing both, but after a few hours I got the low pressure error (error 90) on the pump. I'm not sure if this can cause the pump to fail, but I removed the plug for now until I can figure out the correct way.

One thing worth mentioning is that the I'm using a more powerful pump than recommended, but I asked Intex and they said it should be okay. I'd also like to understand the physics of it. Since the hoses connected to the intake valves have smaller diameter than the 1.5" hose that connects them at the Y-splitter to the pump, if you block one of the intake hoses, wouldn't it cause issues?

Any ideas?

Any chance that the suction hose(s) may be collapsing on you from the strong pull of water from only one source when you plug the other? It may help to share some pics of your pool, the plumbing lines, and equipment pad.
Sorry, did not realize there was a comment under my post. No, nothing is collapsing. I have pretty much a standard setup. See some photos here and here.

Sorry, did not realize there was a comment under my post. No, nothing is collapsing. I have pretty much a standard setup. See some photos here and here.
Bigger pump needs more water to function properly. Block one source and the other may not be able to supply the right amount. Try breathing through two straws. Then, remove one and you'll get the idea.

Bigger pump needs more water to function properly. Block one source and the other may not be able to supply the right amount. Try breathing through two straws. Then, remove one and you'll get the idea.
That's what I have been suspecting. Thanks for the confirmation. I have been running it with both intake valves open, and it seems to work (as long as I have a clean skimmer sock).

That's what I have been suspecting. Thanks for the confirmation. I have been running it with both intake valves open, and it seems to work (as long as I have a clean skimmer sock).
You have the exact same setup as me except that I also have a heat pump in line. I haven't had the issue of getting any errors from the pump when using the flow reducer and the skimmer works much better then. But I would like to have the other intake cleaning the below surface water, and with the flow reducer on, it barely does that. I was hoping this bigger, beefier pump would be up for doing both.

Reactions: alekdavis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.