shedlock22

Aug 2, 2022
Garrettsville
Hello all,

I had a bad winter, tons of leaves and algae to greet me (cheap cover which has since been tossed), so I added 6 lbs of shock to clear things up. Lots of vacumming, etc and here is where I'm at today with a Taylor test kit.

TA - 130
CH - 210
FC - 7.8
CC - maybe .5? There is a hint of red at .4 and it's clear at .6
CYA > 100 as the black dot cannot be seen before the gauge starts.
My PH reading is yellow so it's below 7 after adding one bag of soda ash.

My pool is an 18' round, 48" deep, salt, and is covered when not in use.

Looking for advice on how to raise PH, after adding 4# already the PH didn't move.

With a TA of 130, your pH cannot be below 6, or at least not for long.

Check your testing. Be sure you TA is at that level.

With that level of CYA, may as well drain off half the volume and plan to do it a second time before messing with things.

That added 52 ppm FC and 48 ppm CYA.
A little less, clorox is funny because they mix more stuff in there and have less dichlor...

@shedlock22 dichlor shock (and trichlor pucks) also lower your pH. The amount you added would have dropped your pH by as much as 1.5.

It's best to switch to liquid chlorine (bleach).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A little less, clorox is funny because they mix more stuff in there and have less dichlor...

@shedlock22 dichlor shock (and trichlor pucks) also lower your pH. The amount you added would have dropped your pH by as much as 1.5.

It's best to switch to liquid chlorine (bleach).
yes, am planning on doing so when I need to, I think I'm right in the recommended range at the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.