low PH, trouble getting it up but need to SLAM? what to do?

Wyz11

Gold Supporter
May 7, 2023
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
First time posting, thanks in advance for help. pool owner for 5+yrs but got tired of spending bunch of $$ following pool store directions so trying on my own now.

Recently opened pool, based on reading bunch of things here, think i need to do the SLAM process (water is clear but FC was zero when opened and CC is reading >0.5) but my PH is low and I've tried couple times to bring up with soda ash without any movement. do i need to get PH up first or should i just start SLAM?

using TF-Pro test kit
FC - 2.5
CC - 2.5
PH - 6.7 (but may be lower, not really close to any of the colors)
TA - 0
CYA - 60 (I realize its on high end, I'm hoping to use rain to dilute it down over time; i'm on well and exchanged some but don't want to have issues with that)

also FWIW - I have an automatic cover which is always closed when not in use, not sure if i need to keep it open while doing the SLAM process

thanks again for any help.

Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

tired of spending bunch of $$ following pool store directions
Welcome to #TeamPoolStored.
using TF-Pro test kit
FC - 2.5
CC - 2.5
PH - 6.7 (but may be lower, not really close to any of the colors)
TA - 0
CYA - 60 (I realize its on high end, I'm hoping to use rain to dilute it down over time; i'm on well and exchanged some but don't want to have issues with that)
Let's get that TA up. That is what is effecting your pH.

The simplest way to raise TA is with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate). In fact, if you look at the ingredient in the chemical bottle that pool stores sell as “alkalinity increaser”, it is precisely that, baking soda!! And, it is often 2X to 3X the price of the stuff in your grocery store.

Bring the TA up to 50-60 using baking soda and THEN raise your pH to around 7.2 (in case you need to slam) using 20 Mule Team Borax.

It is often best to make large TA adjustments in a couple of steps, testing the water after each step. Maybe 30% at a time to get to a TA of 60.

Do you have Pool Math? Get it. Link-->PoolMath
It will help you with additions.

Let's also get your FC up with liquid chlorine. You should always follow this. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Once you get TA/pH/FC in line, then you can do an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to SLAM. Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: clambert1273
Checking back in on this. I’m stuck, any help would be much appreciated.

Over the weekend I used last of my old Leslie’s soda ash which got my PH to 6.8 and my TA up to 70, PH was still low so I followed poolmath and tried borax but it didn’t budge (2 separate 8lbs treatments). I then tried arm and hammer washing soda and got PH to 7.2.

now I’m going through liquid chlorine like crazy - I’m following pool math and did three separate 6-8gallon adds but the FC doesn’t get over 4 with high CC and both just disappear after couple hours.

Last cycle was this AM with 6 gal of LC and when I got home 8hrs later now my PH is down to 6.8 and no trace of FC at all. Water is perfectly clear.

What should I do? Try to get PH back up and just keep dumping in LC? Or am I missing something else?

Current readings:
FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 6.8
TA - 60
CYA - 60

Read thiS

Essentially do this to see:
1. Add liquid chlorine for 10FC
2. Test FC after 10 min, IF FC < 5 test cc and repeat until FC >= 5
3. Once you break through holding FC then you should be able to adjust everything normal.

Warning! Test nothing else or add nothing else just chlorine This could take ALOT of chlorine to break so just keep trucking. Let us know how it goes.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help from this forum. I have a little bit more to go to get perfect balance but my pool made a break through over the past couple days where my FC/CC is so much better. Great feeling to be able to do this on my own and even better knowing that I now know so much more about how to balance things going forward. Hope I never have to go back to a pool store again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.