Low PH & Low TA after SLAM complete

Oct 17, 2022
Greenville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New to pool ownership & TFP. Just completed the SLAM process and both PH & TA are low and want to make sure it is ok to add Soda Ash and confirm how much to add, as our filter is still running from the SLAM process and I don't want to damage our equipment. We have a 21,120 gallon inground pool. Current water test results are:
CYA = 45
FC = 8ppm (I understand this is 1ppm higher than recommended range...will that impact my PH?TA readings?)
CC = 0.5
PH = 7.0
TA = 40 ppm

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to the forum.
Was your TA low prior to the SLAM process? Liquid chlorine should not effect pH or TA.

Use baking soda. Raise your TA to 70 ppm. Use PoolMath for how much to add.
The pH will stay in the 7's. Do NOT use soda ash.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you! Are you saying that a PH of 7.0 is ok, then? I'm so worried I'm going to ruin something, and want to make sure I do what I can to keep things nice as we just invested over 50k in "fixing" our hot-mess of a pool that came with the house we recently bought. :) I just checked and my TA was 40ppm when I started the SLAM, so you are correct, TA didn't change. I don't think I paid it any attention b/c everything I read said to get PH right before SLAM process, which I did, or at least I thought I did. *Also, I am not implying the TA content isn't there, just that I missed it, b/c this is a TON of new info to take in/learn and I'm trying to get it all straight. :)

By adding some baking soda to raise the TA to 70 ppm, the pH will rise a bit. A pH of 7 is fine. All the way to 8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.